Shear force and Bending moment of a Cantilever Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses a rod at a 45 degree angle with a load force of 115.118lbf in the y-direction. The force at A is 5 inches from the force in the y-direction and the force at B is 10.5 inches from the force in the y-direction. The goal is to find the shear forces at A and B and the moment at point C, but the speaker is stuck at finding the shear forces. They request help and are reminded to list relevant equations and show their work. It is mentioned that they will not be able to find the shear forces at A and B, but rather the shear force between A and B. The speaker is asked to clarify which definition of shear force
kgprice11
1. I have a rod as pictured in the attachment. The rod is at a 45 degree angle.
The load force is 115.118lbf
The force is y-direction is 97.954lbf

The Force at A is 5 inches from Force in the y-direction.
The force at B is 10.5 inches from the Force in the y-direction

I need to find the shear forces for A and B and the moment at point C

I am stuck at the shear forces (V)

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Forces for FIg A-A.pdf
    29.6 KB · Views: 282
Physics news on Phys.org
Plz help I messed up here

kgprice11: You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work. And then someone might check your math.

You will not be able to find the shear forces at A and at B. But you will be able to find the shear force between A and B. Which definition of shear force do you prefer to use? (there are at least two)

I would first like to commend you for providing detailed information about your problem. This makes it easier for me to understand the situation and provide a response.

To find the shear forces at points A and B, we need to consider the equilibrium of forces along the rod. Since the rod is at a 45 degree angle, we can resolve the load force of 115.118lbf into its vertical and horizontal components. The vertical component will be equal to the force in the y-direction, which is 97.954lbf, and the horizontal component will be equal to 97.954lbf (115.118lbf x cos 45 degrees).

Now, for point A, we can apply the equilibrium equation: ΣFy = 0. This means that the sum of all vertical forces acting on point A must be equal to 0. Since we already know that the vertical component of the load force is 97.954lbf, we can deduce that the shear force at point A must be equal to the negative of this value, which is -97.954lbf.

Similarly, for point B, we can apply the same equation and find that the shear force at point B must be equal to -97.954lbf as well.

Moving on to finding the moment at point C, we need to consider the moment equation: ΣM = 0. This means that the sum of all moments acting on point C must be equal to 0. Since we know the force at A (97.954lbf) and its distance from point C (5 inches), we can calculate the moment at point C as follows:

ΣM = 0
(97.954lbf)(5 inches) - (Force at C)(10.5 inches) = 0
(97.954lbf)(5 inches) = (Force at C)(10.5 inches)
Force at C = (97.954lbf)(5 inches) / (10.5 inches)
Force at C = 46.641lbf

Therefore, the moment at point C is equal to 46.641lbf.

I hope this helps you in finding the shear forces at points A and B and the moment at point C. If you are still stuck, I would suggest seeking assistance from a qualified engineer or consulting a textbook on mechanics of materials.

What is shear force and bending moment?

Shear force and bending moment are two important concepts in structural engineering. Shear force is the force acting perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of a structure, while bending moment is the bending force that causes a structure to bend or deform.

How are shear force and bending moment calculated?

Shear force and bending moment are calculated using the principles of statics and mechanics. Shear force is calculated by taking the sum of all the forces acting perpendicular to a section of a structure, while bending moment is calculated by taking the sum of all the moments acting on the same section.

What is the significance of shear force and bending moment in structural analysis?

Shear force and bending moment are important in structural analysis because they help engineers determine the internal forces and stresses within a structure. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures that can withstand external loads.

What factors can affect shear force and bending moment in a cantilever rod?

There are several factors that can affect shear force and bending moment in a cantilever rod, including the length of the rod, the magnitude and direction of external loads, and the material properties of the rod. Other factors such as temperature, shape, and support conditions can also have an impact.

How can shear force and bending moment be visualized in a cantilever rod?

Shear force and bending moment can be visualized using a shear force and bending moment diagram. These diagrams show the variation of shear force and bending moment along the length of the cantilever rod and help engineers understand how the internal forces change at different points along the rod.