Shear force diagrams simple stuff hey?

In summary, shear force diagrams are a way to visualize the shear stress and bending moment in a beam.
studentlife
shear force diagrams simple stuff hey!?

hey guys this is probably very straight forward stuff for u but i have an example question on a loaded beam. there is a UDL, 2 pure couples and 2 fixed points.

now how do i do the shear force and bendin moment diagram for this

really lookin forward to your ideas thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
studentlife said:
hey guys this is probably very straight forward stuff for u but i have an example question on a loaded beam. there is a UDL, 2 pure couples and 2 fixed points.

now how do i do the shear force and bendin moment diagram for this

really lookin forward to your ideas thanks

A sketch of the idea would do some good.

In general, the relation dM(x)/dx = T(x) can be very useful when constructing shear force diagram. (T represents the shear force, and M the bending moment.)

Set up the equations of equilibrium for the beam at some point x to get the bending moment function M(x), after calculating the reactions.

heres the pic of everything

how do i include the couples in the diagrams i haven't encountered these b4

Attachments

• beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 481
First, what is the method you were taught to draw the diagram?

Graphing the piecewise function and/or the area method?

i think ud describe it as the graphing piecewise function although i haven't heard it described as tht b4 ne I am from the uk so not my fault :smile:

basically this is what i use

http://www2.umist.ac.uk/construction/intranet/teaching/ul222/exp/sfbmdex.htm"

is there a "better" way I am sort of teachin myself this stuff really ne help would b hugely appreciated :smile: iv got another problem I am stuck on but i wona give it a proper go b4 askin learn better tht way if u can solve something yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
studentlife said:
how do i include the couples in the diagrams i haven't encountered these b4
So, if you're looking at piecewise section from the left end, you would, as usual have M(x) = sum of reaction to moments from -4kN, R(Ay) and the distributed load, for 0<=x<8, and beyond that point, you also include the reactions to the pure couples, so that M(x) = all these contributions + couple at C, for 8<=x<18, and M(x) = all of previous contributions + couple at E, for x>=18

thanks for such quick responses!

i think i need to practice these diagrams alot! are there any good websites out there or books, i have a mechanics book but doesn't really touch on the diagram side of things i haven't really managed to find a lot on the web.

so basically i jus add the couples to the other loads at C and E, how would this look visually?

this is a pretty awesome forum i read tons of threads already learned alot!
if you don't mind me asking what do all you guys do for a living??

wow those 2 images are great, the shear force was exactly how i pictured it and the bending moment explained the couples

thanks for all ur help

Moments about a Clockwise:

(10 x 5) + [(0.5 x 10) x 5] = (4x3) + (3x15) x (R/b x20)

75 = 57+(R/b x 20)

R/b= 18 / 20

R/b = -0.9

This doesn't seem right, what have I done wrong??

to find reaction R/a using all Upward=Downward

R/a + 4 + 3 = 5 + 10 + 0.9

R/a = 8.9

help
:grumpy:

studentlife said:
Moments about a Clockwise:

(10 x 5) + [(0.5 x 10) x 5] = (4x3) + (3x15) x (R/b x20)

75 = 57+(R/b x 20)

R/b= 18 / 20

R/b = -0.9

This doesn't seem right, what have I done wrong??

to find reaction R/a using all Upward=Downward

R/a + 4 + 3 = 5 + 10 + 0.9

R/a = 8.9

help
:grumpy:

I'm too lazy to check your calculation, but I can demonstrate how it should look like. Let's set the sum of moments around point B to equal zero, to get the reaction Ra at point A (which is assumed to point 'upwards'). Assume clockwise moments are positive. We have:

-3 + 10 - 0.5*10*15 + Ra*20 - 4*23 = 0.

so ur asuming that Rb will equal 0? or is there another way of findin Rb

this is real interesting really making me think logically about things, i love learning this stuff!

studentlife said:
so ur asuming that Rb will equal 0? or is there another way of findin Rb

this is real interesting really making me think logically about things, i love learning this stuff!

I'm not assuming Rb will equal 0. We only set the sum of moments about the point B to equal 0, right? So, the reaction Rb does not produce a moment at this point. Thus, we have one equation with one unknown, Ra, which we can solve easily.

Further on, you can easily google-up some basic information on the construction of internal force diagrams. If there's something specific you wish to know about, I'll be glad to help.

You wouldn't happen to be doing Dr. Badi's Mechanics courswork at the University of Hertfordshire would you, studentlife?

:p

this stuff is probably a little too late for me, but its all very useful, I'm done all those classes for now where I have to draw those damn shear force diagrams and bending moments

1. What is a shear force diagram?

A shear force diagram, also known as a SFD, is a graphical representation of the forces acting on a structure or object at a given point. It shows the magnitude and direction of the shear forces acting on the structure.

2. How is a shear force diagram different from a bending moment diagram?

A shear force diagram shows the shear forces acting on a structure, while a bending moment diagram shows the bending moments acting on the structure. Both diagrams provide different information about the internal forces in a structure.

3. What are the main components of a shear force diagram?

The main components of a shear force diagram include the shear force scale, the x-axis representing the length of the structure, and the y-axis representing the magnitude of the shear force. The diagram also includes arrows representing the direction of the shear force.

4. How is a shear force diagram used in structural analysis?

A shear force diagram is an important tool in structural analysis as it helps engineers and scientists understand the internal forces and stresses in a structure. It is used to determine the maximum shear force at any point in the structure and to identify critical points where the structure may fail.

5. Can a shear force diagram be used for any type of structure?

Yes, a shear force diagram can be used for any type of structure, including beams, trusses, and frames. It is a fundamental concept in structural analysis and is applicable to various types of structures and materials.