Shielding an off-center charge with a conducting shell

In summary: Can you please explain why?The outside mirror charge induces a dipolar charge distribution on the outside of the sphere.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I'd like to show that a conducting, charged spherical shell can shield the field of an inside opposite point charge even if this charge is not at the center. I was thinking about a Gaussian surface just outside the sphere, such that if there were electric field vectors they would be perpendicular to the surface.

I'd now like to show that all those field vectors either point inwards or outwards. Then I could use Gauss's law and show that the field vectors are in fact zero (since the total charge inside is zero). But I can't see why this is true. Couldn't the inside charge maybe induce a dipolar charge distribution on the outside of the sphere if it were really close to sphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
Couldn't the inside charge maybe induce a dipolar charge distribution on the outside of the sphere if it were really close to sphere?
It does! This is exactly what cancels the asymmetry from the charge inside.

The outer surface of the shell is an equipotential surface. You can use symmetry to find an electric field that fits.

Hi.

I assume you're talking about placing a mirror charge outside to make the potential constant on the sphere? I know this method, but I was looking for a simpler way and hoped Gauss might help. I only want to show that the outside field vanishes, not how the inside field looks like.

mfb said:
You can use symmetry to find an electric field that fits.
But the electric field produced by the outside mirror charge is only meaningful on the inside of the sphere, not on the outside, isn't it? At least this is what Wikipedia says, for the potential though.

mfb said:
I might be asking for too much, but would you mind drawing a rough sketch about how the charges distribute on the outer and inner surface of the sphere?

greypilgrim said:
I assume you're talking about placing a mirror charge outside to make the potential constant on the sphere?
No.

You don't need any mirror charges here.

Outside the spherical shell, the situation is symmetric and you know the total charge. There is exactly one possible electric field geometry that fits to this situation. If you don't care about the inside you don't have to find the charge distribution there.

Ah okay, you mean the fact that the potential is constant on the sphere makes the situation symmetric and defines the field by uniqueness.
mfb said:
You agreed that there will be a non-constant (even dipolar) charge distribution on the outside of the sphere. How can I find this distribution?

greypilgrim said:
You agreed that there will be a non-constant (even dipolar) charge distribution on the outside of the sphere.
Sorry, misread the quoted part. The non-constant charge distribution is on the inside of the sphere.

1. What is shielding an off-center charge with a conducting shell?

Shielding an off-center charge with a conducting shell refers to the process of reducing the electric field produced by a charge that is not located at the center of a conducting shell. The conducting shell is a material that conducts electricity and can redistribute the electric field to minimize its effects.

2. Why is it necessary to shield an off-center charge?

Shielding an off-center charge is necessary because an electric field produced by a charge can have detrimental effects on nearby objects or living organisms. By shielding the charge, the electric field is redirected away from these objects, reducing any potential harm.

3. How does shielding an off-center charge with a conducting shell work?

Shielding an off-center charge with a conducting shell works by redistributing the electric field produced by the charge. The conducting shell acts as a Faraday cage, which means that it can absorb and redistribute the electric field, reducing its strength outside of the shell.

4. What materials are commonly used for conducting shells?

Common materials used for conducting shells include metals such as copper, aluminum, and silver. These materials have high electrical conductivity, making them effective at redistributing electric fields.

5. Are there any limitations to shielding an off-center charge with a conducting shell?

Yes, there are limitations to shielding an off-center charge with a conducting shell. The effectiveness of the shielding depends on the size and shape of the conducting shell, as well as the strength of the electric field being produced. Additionally, the conducting shell can only redirect the electric field, not completely eliminate it.