Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shifting 0-5V signal to -2.5-2.5V

1. Jul 16, 2010 #1
    Shifting 0--5V signal to -2.5--2.5V

I have a DAC coming from my micro with a signal that will vary anywhere from 0-5Volts. What are my options of shifting that down so I can get a -2.5 -- 2.5V swing? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2010 #2
    Re: Shifting 0--5V signal to -2.5--2.5V

In a op-amp voltage difference amplifier, you could subtract 2.5V from the input:

diffa2.gif

Attached Files:

4. Jul 16, 2010 #3

For this setup I will need to supply a positive voltage on pin 7 and a negative one on pin 4 right? thanks

5. Jul 16, 2010 #4

uart

Science Advisor

Yes, about +5 / -5 volts DC at a minimum.

There may be a much simpler solution but without a more detailed description of the nature of the signal then you mightn't get it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. Jul 16, 2010 #5

Yes, you need a bipolar power supply. Your circuit is a unipolar to bipolar converter. If interested, I have an article about this type of circuit here:

Design a Unipolar to Bipolar Converter for a Unipolar Voltage Output DAC
    http://masteringelectronicsdesign.c...converter-for-a-unipolar-voltage-output-dac/"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017 at 10:53 AM
  7. Jul 16, 2010 #6

From your name, bassplayer, I'm thinking that you have an audio signal?

If it is over 10Hz or so, presuming that the destination is biased around 0v, you might be able to just put a big capacitor in the signal line. You might also get away with using a resistor divider to a negative supply voltage without bothering with an Op-Amp.

What's your actual application?

8. Jul 18, 2010 #7

Actually I'm working on a laser scanner system for light show with some mirror galvanometers. I don't have a datasheet on them or any type of function generator so having an easily adjustable supply will be great for finding the limits of operation. Thanks for all the posts, its been a great help!

9. Jul 18, 2010 #8

Then they are pretty much just speaker voice coils, and a inline capacitor will do the trick. However you probably need more power than the PC output can push. Perhaps more than the PC headphone output too, but you could try that or a small powered speaker system for a start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook