TTL circuit voltage offset, why -2.5~2.5V and not 0~5V

In summary: It's not a matter of tone up or down, it's a matter of shifting the whole waveform up or down. In summary, the reason why we need to tune the offset of the function generator of a TTL circuit to 2.5v (or -2.5v) is because most TTL circuits have a low voltage between 0-0.8v and a high voltage between 2.35-2.5v. This is necessary in order to create a shift from -2.5v to 2.5v instead of having it shift between 0v to 5v. The offset needs to be adjusted in order for the output waveform from the function generator to be acceptable for TTL circuits, which
Jason Chuang
My teacher asked me to explain the reason why we need to tune the offset of the function generator of a ttl circuit to 2.5v(or -2.5v::didn't hear it clearly!) to create a shift from -2.5v to 2.5v instead of having it shift between 0v to 5v.

I've done some research regarding the high voltage and the low voltage of a ttl circuit, saying that most ttl circuit have a low voltage between 0~0.8v and a high circuit between 2.35v~2.5v, is that reason why we need to tone down(or bump up) the offset??

The question is in the following:

In TTL digital circuits, the “clock” signal like the left-handed picture below is frequently needed. However, the waveform output from F.G. is like the right-handed picture. How do we make the output waveform from F.G. be acceptable by TTL circuits?

未命名.png

can anybody help me explain the reason also tell me if the offset is to be bump up or tone down, in MHO I would say the offset needs to be tone down to -2.5v, but somehow I heard my teacher said 2.5v.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jason Chuang.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

In future, please retain the 3 header Homework Help template and arrange your post as best you can under those headings.

I think you might be confused about what your teacher said.

If the output from your function generator swings between -2.5v and +2.5v then it needs to be modified to operate TTL which needs signal levels between 0v and 5v. Can you explain now what he would have told you?

I'm new to this forum, what exactly is the 3 header homework template? Sorry if I sound ignorant....

But last week we did some sort of experiment about a counter on a 7 segment display, and when the offset was 0v, I was unable to have it function properly as only 2~15 would show up not the 1, but after I adjusted the offset voltage to 2.5v, everything went well and I finished the experiment.

Why did this happened?? I'm sure setting the offset to 2.5v was the key point to have my 7 segment display to work.
I'm a EE student

Jason Chuang said:
I'm new to this forum, what exactly is the 3 header homework template? Sorry if I sound ignorant....

Have a look at other threads in the Homework Help forums, you'll see the section headers in each opening post.

But last week we did some sort of experiment about a counter on a 7 segment display, and when the offset was 0v, I was unable to have it function properly as only 2~15 would show up not the 1, but after I adjusted the offset voltage to 2.5v, everything went well and I finished the experiment.

Why did this happened?? I'm sure setting the offset to 2.5v was the key point to have my 7 segment display to work.
I'm a EE student
You gave the right explanation earlier. I thought I as good as handed you the wording you could use.

TTL won't work properly until you provide it with the signal levels that it is designed for.

Jason Chuang said:

I'm a EE student

With the offset set to zero the output swings from -2.5 to +2.5 eg it's centered on 0V. When you change the offset to +2.5 the whole waveform moves up 2.5v so it now swings from 0 to 5V.

What is TTL circuit voltage offset?

TTL circuit voltage offset refers to the difference between the voltage levels of a digital signal in a TTL (transistor-transistor logic) circuit. It is measured in volts and can be either positive or negative.

Why is the voltage offset for TTL circuits typically between -2.5V and 2.5V?

The voltage offset for TTL circuits is typically between -2.5V and 2.5V because these voltage levels are within the acceptable range for TTL logic, which is typically between 0V and 5V. This range allows for reliable signal transmission and minimizes the risk of damaging the components.

What is the significance of using -2.5V and 2.5V instead of 0V and 5V?

The use of -2.5V and 2.5V instead of 0V and 5V ensures that the signal has a margin of error, or a safety buffer, to prevent any voltage fluctuations or noise from causing the signal to fall outside the acceptable range. This improves the overall reliability and stability of the circuit.

Can the voltage offset for TTL circuits be adjusted?

Yes, the voltage offset for TTL circuits can be adjusted by using voltage dividers or other circuit components. However, it is important to ensure that the resulting voltage levels are within the acceptable range for TTL logic.

Are there any drawbacks to using a voltage offset for TTL circuits?

One potential drawback of using a voltage offset for TTL circuits is that it can decrease the overall speed of the circuit. This is because the signal takes longer to reach the desired voltage level due to the added safety margin. However, this trade-off is necessary for reliable signal transmission and protection of the circuit components.