1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHO in phase space

1. Sep 20, 2006 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider a simple harmonic oscillation in 1 dimension: x(t)=Acos(wt+k). If the enegy of this oscillator is btw E and E+[itex]\delta E[/itex], show that the probability the the position of the oscillator is btw x and x+dx is given by

Hint: calculate the volume in phase space when the energie is btw E and E+[itex]\delta E[/itex] and when the position is btw x and x+dx, and compare this volume with the total volume when the oscillator is anywhere but in the same energy interval.

For a given energy E, it's easy to see that the path of the oscillator in phase space is an ellipse of semi axes A and mwA.

I could write the semi axes of the ellipse representing the energy E and E+[itex]\delta E[/itex] by A+[itex]\delta A[/itex] and (m+[itex]\delta m[/itex])(w+[itex]\delta w[/itex])(A+[itex]\delta A[/itex]) but I fear that would not be very practical... :/

I could then find an expression for the difference in area of the 2 ellipses as a function of x, differentiate that, multiply by dx and finally divide by the total difference in area of the 2 ellipses and I would be done.

Actually I already tried that with the case where only A was "allowed" to vary and not m or w, and it did not work. So I'm very much open to any suggestion!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?