Short & simple viscosity question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of glycerol's viscosity, which was found to be 1.9 P, higher than the expected value of 1.5 P according to Google. The question arises whether the evaporation of water from glycerol could be the cause of its increased viscosity. The speaker also mentions conducting a test with glycerol and a watch glass to observe any changes. The conversation then touches on the density and temperature during the viscosity measurement, as well as potential error sources. The density of glycerol is given as 1200 kg m-3, with a temperature of 21 degrees C and a parallax error of 10.7%. It is suggested that water may have absorbed into
mr-tom
I've managed to calculate the viscosity of glycerol to be about 1.9 P. Google says it's supposed to be 1.5. Could I say that evaporated water has caused the glycerol to become more viscous than it should be? (It could just be a thicker glycerol but I'm just looking things to blab on about)
Basically: Does water evaporate from glycerol and if so does it make it more viscous?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What's your calculation?

It's abit lengthy and I'm pretty sure it's right, I just need to know whether water evaporates from glycerol if you leave it out without a lid.

Try it- put some in a watch glass, see what happens.

Have you measured the density? What temperature did you do the viscosity measurement at? What are your error sources?

The density was given as 1200 kg m-3, temperature was an average of 21 degrees C. My only error source is parrallax error. But my % error was 10.7%. I can't really try it but I'll mention the watch glass thing in my evaluation, thanks.

Water actually absorbs into most alcohols if the alcohol is left in the air however I'm not quite certain if this the case with glycerol. Water makes a lot of substances more viscous especially if it can hydrogen bond with the other species. In this light water probably absorbed into your glycerol and caused it to become more viscous.

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property that describes how easily a fluid can be deformed or how "thick" or "sticky" it is.

2. How is viscosity measured?

Viscosity is typically measured using a viscometer, which is a device that applies a known force to a fluid and measures the resulting deformation or flow. The most common unit of measurement for viscosity is poise (P), with centipoise (cP) being more commonly used for smaller values.

3. What factors affect viscosity?

The viscosity of a fluid is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and composition. Generally, fluids become less viscous at higher temperatures and more viscous at higher pressures. The presence of substances such as solutes or particles can also alter a fluid's viscosity.

4. Why is viscosity important?

Viscosity is an important property in many scientific and industrial fields. It plays a crucial role in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and material processing. Understanding and controlling viscosity is essential for optimizing processes and designing efficient systems.

5. How does viscosity differ from density?

Viscosity and density are both properties that describe fluids, but they are fundamentally different. Density is a measure of a fluid's mass per unit volume, while viscosity is a measure of its resistance to flow. Density does not change with flow, whereas viscosity can vary depending on the conditions.