Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shorting the Ends of a Mobile Phone Charger

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    What would happen if I shorted the ends of a mobile phone charger (in both the cases when input is 110V or 220V)?

I was considering using the terminals of a charger as a dc source for any experiment I might want to do at home (batteries would be too expensive), and wondered whether it was a good idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3

meBigGuy

Gold Member

It's not good to short them. Some might deal with it fine, some may burn out, some may burn up. Personally I think using them for experimental power sources is fine, but keep within the limits on the case. I've never had one fail "violently", but I generally use them on reference design and evaluation test boards. I expect they will handle a momentary short without burning up if they have a UL or other safety rating, but they may fail. Others here may disagree about their safety.

5. Oct 17, 2013 #4
    Perhaps Google the specs and safety features of whatever model you are planning to use. Everyone is different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook