Why Phone Charger Makes High Frequency Sound

In summary, a phone charger with an output of 5V DC may make a constant high pitched noise when plugged into the wall, which can be heard within 4 ft of the charger. This is caused by the switching regulators used in most chargers which oscillate in 10s of KHz. This means that even without a phone attached, there is still a small amount of energy loss when the charger is plugged in.
bilal j
Hi. I noticed that my phone charger (output: 5V DC) makes a constant high pitched noise when plugged into the wall. It's not too loud but you can hear it when you are within maybe 4 ft of the charger. When I plug my phone in, it starts making intermittent noises. I was wondering what this could be caused by?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most charges are using switching regulators, they oscillates in 10s of KHz, you can hear it if the transformer buzzes.

does that mean there is current flow and thus energy loss even without the phone attached?

Yes, there is always a little loss if you keep the charger plugged in.

There are a few potential reasons why your phone charger is making a high frequency sound. One possibility is that it is due to the internal components of the charger vibrating at a high frequency. This can happen when the charger is converting the AC current from the wall outlet into the DC current that is needed to charge your phone. The process of converting the current can create small vibrations within the charger, which can produce a high pitched sound.

Another potential cause could be electromagnetic interference (EMI). This occurs when the electrical signals within the charger interact with other electronic devices or components, causing them to vibrate and produce sound. This can be more noticeable when your phone is plugged in and drawing power from the charger, as it can create more electrical activity and potential for interference.

Additionally, it is also possible that the sound is being produced by a faulty or damaged component within the charger. If this is the case, it is important to stop using the charger and have it checked by a professional to avoid any potential safety hazards.

Overall, the high frequency sound from your phone charger is likely due to the internal components vibrating or EMI, which are common occurrences in electronic devices. However, if the sound becomes louder or more frequent, it is recommended to have the charger inspected to ensure safe and proper functioning.

1. Why does my phone charger make a high frequency sound?

The high frequency sound coming from your phone charger is caused by the electrical current flowing through the charger. This current can create vibrations in the charger's components, resulting in the high frequency sound you hear.

2. Is the high frequency sound from my phone charger harmful?

No, the high frequency sound from your phone charger is not harmful. It is simply a result of the electrical current and does not pose any danger to you or your phone.

3. Can I stop my phone charger from making a high frequency sound?

In most cases, the high frequency sound from your phone charger is normal and cannot be stopped. However, if the sound is unusually loud or persistent, it may indicate a problem with the charger and you should replace it.

4. Does the high frequency sound mean my phone is fully charged?

No, the high frequency sound from your phone charger is not an indication of your phone's battery level. It is simply a byproduct of the charging process and will continue until the charger is unplugged.

5. Can using a different charger prevent the high frequency sound?

It is possible that using a different charger may prevent the high frequency sound, but it is not guaranteed. The sound is primarily caused by the electrical current and vibrations within the charger, so using a different charger may or may not make a difference.