1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Should I follow my passion ?

1. Aug 1, 2016 #1
    I am passionate about physics ,but if I choose physics as a major I may not have any career as my country is a developing one and physics studying here is also bad -- professors and curriculums aren't satisfiable -- and somehow boring . The other choice is to study medicine -- though I don't like it -- and have a good career , a family , a stable life etc . Did any of you face a similar situation ?
    What should I do ? Iam completely puzzled and scared of choosing physics and then If I didn't achieve my dream and get a PhD , I'll end up loosing everything .
    P.s : In my country , there is no chance to change major , if I chose medicine I can't change it and have physics later and it's the same thing if I chose physics .
    P.s 2 : I am a girl and my society doesn't like female physicians .
    Thanks in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2016 #2
    I would tell anyone that gets in the way of your dreams and recommends you to 'have a family, settle down, get a good job', to stick it.

It will be difficult to accomplish your dream, but that's life... Persistence persistence persistence, and you will get there.

4. Aug 1, 2016 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone who studies Physics or does research dedicated to Physics is not a "physician". Someone who becomes a medical doctor would often be called a "physician". Someone who earns a degree in Physics or directly related and becomes a "medical physicist" is a "medical physicist", but not a "physician".

What else are you allowed to study other than Physics or Medicine? Is engineering a possible choice for you where you are? Is anything in biological or health sciences a choice for you, like maybe Microbiology (if it interests you)?

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I kind of do. In my country, researches in the field of physical science, and natural science in general actually, do not develop to the point where you can get a balance between money and job satisfaction. It's heavier on the former. Realizing this situation, I chose to fly beyond my country's boundary to do my graduate in physics and live in the destination country on a scholarship. So, I would like to ask you, are you in a situation where getting awarded a scholarship is still feasible for you?

6. Aug 1, 2016 #5
    Actually I have all these choices ,but I want physics XD . thanks for the information :) .

7. Aug 1, 2016 #6
    Yeah ! In fact , getting a scholarship is my first goal :) cuz as I said " curriculums here sucks ! " and I want to study physics as it is - beautiful and fun - not as they want to make it look like :)

8. Aug 1, 2016 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you allowed to pick major field of Physics, and choose other elective courses which might make you employable for some good salary career other than as a physicist? Could you consider something other than Physics as major field and include other elective courses to be employable as something other than as physicist?

Your scholarship idea and studying somewhere else seems like a better plan.

9. Aug 1, 2016 #8
    Sorrowfully no , at class 12 ( last year of high school ) we are devided into two groups depending on the major ( biology major and mathematics major ) and when you choose one of them you can't change . If you choose mathematics , you are allowed to study ( natural science , engineering , programming etc ) and if you choose biology here is what you can choose from ( medicine , pharmacy, dentistry and other biology based science ) .

10. Aug 1, 2016 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your high school puts students into either of two tracks. For you, choosing "Mathematics Major". Do you still have the same choices after high school for Natural Sciences, Engineering, Programming, and etcetera? The inference is that , "no", you need to choose something from the list and stay with it.

11. Aug 1, 2016 #10
    Yeah I have the same choices . now I am choosing between mathematics and biology and that's why I am confused

12. Aug 1, 2016 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The best choice for after high school seems to be the Mathematics choice, and you could choose something from the list available within "Mathematics". Would these choices be like, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Geology or Geophysics, or anything which might also be in this listing?

Where does Chemistry fit in the two tracks?

13. Aug 1, 2016 #12
    Indeed , Chemistry fits in both of them :)

14. Aug 1, 2016 #13
    What do you think about moving abroad? I mean, is it an option for you to move to another country (eg US) provided you get a scholarship to study? I think this way you could somehow "easily" do physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted