Should I Consider Studying Physics Abroad for Better Opportunities?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Zenkstorm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Passion
In summary: You may have to face discrimination and judgement from your society and possibly even your family. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but it may be worth considering the potential challenges you may face in pursuing your dream of studying physics.
Zenkstorm
I am passionate about physics ,but if I choose physics as a major I may not have any career as my country is a developing one and physics studying here is also bad -- professors and curriculums aren't satisfiable -- and somehow boring . The other choice is to study medicine -- though I don't like it -- and have a good career , a family , a stable life etc . Did any of you face a similar situation ?
What should I do ? Iam completely puzzled and scared of choosing physics and then If I didn't achieve my dream and get a PhD , I'll end up loosing everything .
P.s : In my country , there is no chance to change major , if I chose medicine I can't change it and have physics later and it's the same thing if I chose physics .
P.s 2 : I am a girl and my society doesn't like female physicians .
Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
I would tell anyone that gets in the way of your dreams and recommends you to 'have a family, settle down, get a good job', to stick it.

It will be difficult to accomplish your dream, but that's life... Persistence persistence persistence, and you will get there.

Likes Zenkstorm
Someone who studies Physics or does research dedicated to Physics is not a "physician". Someone who becomes a medical doctor would often be called a "physician". Someone who earns a degree in Physics or directly related and becomes a "medical physicist" is a "medical physicist", but not a "physician".

What else are you allowed to study other than Physics or Medicine? Is engineering a possible choice for you where you are? Is anything in biological or health sciences a choice for you, like maybe Microbiology (if it interests you)?

Likes Zenkstorm
Zenkstorm said:
Did any of you face a similar situation ?
I kind of do. In my country, researches in the field of physical science, and natural science in general actually, do not develop to the point where you can get a balance between money and job satisfaction. It's heavier on the former. Realizing this situation, I chose to fly beyond my country's boundary to do my graduate in physics and live in the destination country on a scholarship. So, I would like to ask you, are you in a situation where getting awarded a scholarship is still feasible for you?

Likes Zenkstorm
symbolipoint said:
Someone who studies Physics or does research dedicated to Physics is not a "physician". Someone who becomes a medical doctor would often be called a "physician". Someone who earns a degree in Physics or directly related and becomes a "medical physicist" is a "medical physicist", but not a "physician".

What else are you allowed to study other than Physics or Medicine? Is engineering a possible choice for you where you are? Is anything in biological or health sciences a choice for you, like maybe Microbiology (if it interests you)?
Actually I have all these choices ,but I want physics XD . thanks for the information :) .

blue_leaf77 said:
I kind of do. In my country, researches in the field of physical science, and natural science in general actually, do not develop to the point where you can get a balance between money and job satisfaction. It's heavier on the former. Realizing this situation, I chose to fly beyond my country's boundary to do my graduate in physics and live in the destination country on a scholarship. So, I would like to ask you, are you in a situation where getting awarded a scholarship is still feasible for you?
Yeah ! In fact , getting a scholarship is my first goal :) because as I said " curriculums here sucks ! " and I want to study physics as it is - beautiful and fun - not as they want to make it look like :)

Zenkstorm said:
Actually I have all these choices ,but I want physics XD . thanks for the information :) .
Are you allowed to pick major field of Physics, and choose other elective courses which might make you employable for some good salary career other than as a physicist? Could you consider something other than Physics as major field and include other elective courses to be employable as something other than as physicist?

Your scholarship idea and studying somewhere else seems like a better plan.

symbolipoint said:
Are you allowed to pick major field of Physics, and choose other elective courses which might make you employable for some good salary career other than as a physicist? Could you consider something other than Physics as major field and include other elective courses to be employable as something other than as physicist?

Your scholarship idea and studying somewhere else seems like a better plan.
Sorrowfully no , at class 12 ( last year of high school ) we are devided into two groups depending on the major ( biology major and mathematics major ) and when you choose one of them you can't change . If you choose mathematics , you are allowed to study ( natural science , engineering , programming etc ) and if you choose biology here is what you can choose from ( medicine , pharmacy, dentistry and other biology based science ) .

Zenkstorm said:
Sorrowfully no , at class 12 ( last year of high school ) we are devided into two groups depending on the major ( biology major and mathematics major ) and when you choose one of them you can't change . If you choose mathematics , you are allowed to study ( natural science , engineering , programming etc ) and if you choose biology here is what you can choose from ( medicine , pharmacy, dentistry and other biology based science ) .
Your high school puts students into either of two tracks. For you, choosing "Mathematics Major". Do you still have the same choices after high school for Natural Sciences, Engineering, Programming, and etcetera? The inference is that , "no", you need to choose something from the list and stay with it.

Likes Zenkstorm
symbolipoint said:
Your high school puts students into either of two tracks. For you, choosing "Mathematics Major". Do you still have the same choices after high school for Natural Sciences, Engineering, Programming, and etcetera? The inference is that , "no", you need to choose something from the list and stay with it.
Yeah I have the same choices . now I am choosing between mathematics and biology and that's why I am confused

Zenkstorm said:
Yeah I have the same choices . now I am choosing between mathematics and biology and that's why I am confused
The best choice for after high school seems to be the Mathematics choice, and you could choose something from the list available within "Mathematics". Would these choices be like, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Geology or Geophysics, or anything which might also be in this listing?

Where does Chemistry fit in the two tracks?

symbolipoint said:
The best choice for after high school seems to be the Mathematics choice, and you could choose something from the list available within "Mathematics". Would these choices be like, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Geology or Geophysics, or anything which might also be in this listing?

Where does Chemistry fit in the two tracks?

Indeed , Chemistry fits in both of them :)

What do you think about moving abroad? I mean, is it an option for you to move to another country (eg US) provided you get a scholarship to study? I think this way you could somehow "easily" do physics

Likes Zenkstorm

Related to Should I Consider Studying Physics Abroad for Better Opportunities?

1. What if I don't know what my passion is?

It's completely normal to not know what your passion is. Take some time to explore your interests and try new things. Your passion may reveal itself through these experiences.

2. Is it practical to follow my passion?

Following your passion may not always be the most practical option, but it's important to consider what will make you happy and fulfilled in the long run. You can also find ways to incorporate your passion into a practical career.

3. What if my passion doesn't align with my skills?

It's possible that your passion and your skills may not align, but that doesn't mean you can't pursue it. Look for opportunities to develop new skills or find ways to combine your existing skills with your passion.

4. Will following my passion guarantee success?

Following your passion does not guarantee success, but it can give you a sense of fulfillment and purpose. Remember that success looks different for everyone and it's important to define success for yourself.

5. Should I quit my current job to follow my passion?

This is a personal decision that depends on your individual circumstances. Consider the potential risks and rewards and make a decision that feels right for you. You can also find ways to pursue your passion outside of your current job.