Should I go for an REU or an internship?

• Thread starter axmls
  • Start date
I'm currently a Junior in electrical engineering in the U.S. I have done research for 2 years so far with a professor, but have no publications. I may or may not have one by the time I graduate. I'm thinking about applying to REUs this summer to get more research experience as well as explore other research areas, but I'm concerned that this would put me in a worse position than if I got an internship in industry. I do plan on going to graduate school, but I have not decided on whether or not I want to do a master's or a Ph.D. Would it be a better idea to do an internship, given that I'm uncertain if I'll go the master's->industry route or the Ph.D -> academia or industry route?

Answers and Replies

In my opinion, the REU is better for academia, and the internship is better for industry. I don't think it is a dealbreaker if you change your mind later, but you would be better positioned if your experience matched what you were trying to do.

Likes radium and ModusPwnd
What about for Ph.D to industry in engineering? I mean, on the one hand, internships during a Ph.D would obviously be helpful, but an REU in undergrad would be helpful to get into a good Ph.D program.

That might be true. If the PhD program is focused on industry, as some are, that might not necessarily be true, but it is a more traditional academic program probably so.

analogdesign
Science Advisor
Lots of Engineering Ph.D. programs value industrial experience. I did internships after my sophomore and junior years and they helped me greatly in getting my PhD application to stand out.

What REU's are you applying to? DOE SULI is a great way to get a good internship experience because there aren't many EE applicants compared to the available slots.