Should I wait to take calculus at another school?

In summary: I would also recommend you ASK the school to which you plan to transfer if these courses will or will not transfer credit.
Connor
The current community college I'm at offers courses titled analytical geometry and calculus and only transfer to the universities in my state as calculus courses. I'm looking to move outside of South Carolina and going to a school like WSU. Should I wait to take calculus courses when I transfer schools?

Physics news on Phys.org
Connor said:
and only transfer to the universities in my state as calculus courses.

Do you mean that schools outside your state will not give you credit for taking those courses?

Stephen Tashi said:
Do you mean that schools outside your state will not give you credit for taking those courses?
Yes pretty much.

Connor said:
WSU
Wayne State University (Detroit MI)?
Washington State University (Pullman)?
Wichita State University (Kansas)?
Wright State University (Dayton OH)?
Weber State University (Ogden UT)?
Winona State University (Minnesota)?
or maybe someplace else I missed?
:confused: :biggrin:

Whichever one it is, did you check there to find out whether the courses really will or will not transfer?

jtbell said:
Wayne State University (Detroit MI)?
Washington State University (Pullman)?
Wichita State University (Kansas)?
Wright State University (Dayton OH)?
Weber State University (Ogden UT)?
Winona State University (Minnesota)?
or maybe someplace else I missed?
:confused: :biggrin:

Whichever one it is, did you check there to find out whether the courses really will or will not transfer?
Washington State University

Connor said:
The current community college I'm at offers courses titled analytical geometry and calculus and only transfer to the universities in my state as calculus courses. I'm looking to move outside of South Carolina and going to a school like WSU. Should I wait to take calculus courses when I transfer schools?
Do you have the official syllabuses for your community college's Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 courses? Can you attempt to COMPARE them with the descriptions of the similarly named courses of the school at which you plan to later transfer? You could or maybe should also actually ASK the school to which you plan to transfer if these Calc 1 and 2 courses do or do not transfer credit.

symbolipoint said:
Do you have the official syllabuses for your community college's Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 courses? Can you attempt to COMPARE them with the descriptions of the similarly named courses of the school at which you plan to later transfer? You could or maybe should also actually ASK the school to which you plan to transfer if these Calc 1 and 2 courses do or do not transfer credit.
Well Washington state has this transfer equivalency table, and the courses from my school didn't show up?

Connor said:
Well Washington state has this transfer equivalency table, and the courses from my school didn't show up?
...and maybe your school's courses are excluded for a reason and are not equivalent to what Washington State U has. Next step is FOR YOU TO ACTUALLY ASK Washington State U.

Thinking about the title question: No! Do NOT wait. Take and learn what you can as soon as you can. Waiting is no good, because eventually you still must struggle to learn, so doing or starting early is much better than waiting and then struggling later. Transfer-ability is less important. In case you need to repeat for THEIR official courses, you would have already done some of the learning and may simply increase your chances to earn A's.

Connor said:
Well Washington state has this transfer equivalency table,
Does it include courses from other states? I'd expect such a table to be targeted mainly at in-state students, maybe also nearby states like Oregon. I'd be impressed if it includes courses from lesser-known colleges on the other side of the country. :wideeyed:

Every calculus course is taught the same. The name doesn't really matter. As long you learn the same topics in calculus 1

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
Every calculus course is taught the same. The name doesn't really matter. As long you learn the same topics in calculus 1
The intent is that O.P. wants to know if the credit will or will not transfer; and O.P. wants to still know if taking the course if not the credit transfers is or is not wasted effort or wasted learning. The suggestion was given that the learning will be very beneficial regardless of course-credit transfer-ability.

I agree with symbolipoint's posts #8 and #9.

1. Should I wait to take calculus at another school?

It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Consider factors such as the quality of the calculus program at the other school, the availability of resources and support, and your personal readiness for the course.

2. Will waiting to take calculus at another school affect my college applications?

It may affect your college applications if you plan on applying to schools that require or prefer applicants to have taken calculus. However, if you feel that waiting to take calculus at another school will result in a better understanding and mastery of the subject, it may be worth it in the long run.

3. Can I transfer calculus credits from another school?

This depends on the policies of your current school and the school you plan on transferring credits from. Some schools may accept transfer credits, while others may not. It's important to check with both schools beforehand to determine if this is a feasible option.

4. Is it common for students to wait to take calculus at another school?

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to wait to take calculus at another school. Many students may choose to wait for various reasons, such as wanting to take the course at a more prestigious or affordable institution, or needing to fulfill other course requirements first.

5. Will waiting to take calculus at another school put me behind in my academic progress?

Again, this depends on your individual circumstances. If you plan on taking calculus at another school during the summer or during a gap year, it may not affect your academic progress. However, if you plan on taking it during a regular semester, you may need to adjust your academic plan accordingly. It's important to consider the potential consequences and discuss them with your academic advisor.