Should the quark propagator vanish because of confinement?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of confinement in perturbative QCD and the concern that the quark propagator does not seem to follow the principle of confinement. This is because confinement not only requires color neutrality, but also that color charges cannot be separated from each other. The conversation also touches on the role of the Fock vacuum and the physical vacuum in deriving the quark propagator, as well as the gauge-dependence of both the Gauss law and the propagator. Overall, it is clear that the issue of confinement in QCD is a complex and non-perturbative concept that requires further understanding.
Nicolasrll
Hi everyone! Something has been bothering me lately. Consider the quark propagator:

[tex] \langle 0|\psi_a(x)\psi_a(0) |0\rangle[/tex]

For a given color a. Now let's say we insert [tex] 1 = \sum |n \rangle \langle n| [/tex] between the two quark fields, where the sum is over a complete set of energy eigenstates. We then have a sum over a bunch of terms of the form [tex]\langle n|\psi_a(0)|0\rangle[/tex]

Here then is what I'm worried about: confinement, as I understand it, tells us that all energy eigenstates must be color singlets. But unless I'm mistaken, [tex]\psi_a(0)|0\rangle[/tex] is not at all a color singlet, and therefore I would expect all the terms of the form shown above to be zero. This, obviously, clashes hideously with the quark propagator used in perturbative QCD. So what am I missing?

Thank you for your insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
Confinement is more than just color neutrality or color singulet states. Color confinement means that in addition to color neutrality color charges cannot be separated from each other.

Color neutrality can be derived from the Gauss law constraint "algebraically", whereas confinement requires for a dynamical explanation, which is still missing.

Right, but I'm not sure how that resolves the issue. I mean, whether we call it color neutrality or color confinement, the end result seems to be that there are no colored eigenstates, so [tex] \langle n|\psi_a(0)|0\rangle [/tex] would seem to vanish, along with the quark propagator. I don't think this can be right, so how do I get out this bind?

I am not sure how to derive the quark propagator in this picture. It depends on what |0> is, the (trival) Fock vacuum or the physical vacuum. In order to enforce color neutrality one has to restrict the physical states to the kernel of the Gauss law Ga(x)|phys> = 0; but this is a gauge-dependend constraint derived for A°=0. And of course the propagator itself is gauge-dependent, too.

Of course due to confinement the quark propagator (in a certain regime) needs to vanish somehow, but thus is a non-perturbative statement and cannot be derived from the perturbative vacuum.

Last edited:

1. What is the quark propagator and how does it relate to confinement?

The quark propagator is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude of a quark moving from one point to another in space-time. It is related to confinement because in the theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD), the strong force between quarks is thought to be responsible for confinement, or the inability of quarks to exist as free particles.

2. Why is the vanishing of the quark propagator important in the study of confinement?

The vanishing of the quark propagator is important because it is one of the key predictions of QCD. If the quark propagator does indeed vanish at long distances, it would provide evidence for the theory of confinement and help us understand the nature of the strong force.

3. Is there experimental evidence for the vanishing of the quark propagator?

While there is no direct experimental evidence for the vanishing of the quark propagator, there is indirect evidence from lattice QCD calculations and scattering experiments that support the idea of a vanishing quark propagator at long distances.

4. Are there any theories that challenge the idea of a vanishing quark propagator?

There are alternative theories, such as the Gribov-Zwanziger theory, that propose a different mechanism for confinement and do not rely on the vanishing of the quark propagator. However, these theories are still being actively researched and do not yet have strong experimental support.

5. How does the vanishing of the quark propagator affect our understanding of the strong force?

If the quark propagator does indeed vanish at long distances, it would provide evidence for the theory of confinement and help us understand the nature of the strong force. It could also have implications for our understanding of other fundamental particles and interactions in the universe.