Should the voting age be raised?

• News
  • Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date

Should the voting age in the US be raised?

• Yes

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
I do not think that age is a very effective criterion for determining responsibility and maturity. The problem I see with this argument really is that the ability to vote is not based on responsibility and maturity. The ability to vote, in America, is supposed to be considered an inherant right of every adult citizen whether you deem them to be responsible and mature enough or not. When you reach the age of eighteen and are legally considered an adult you are supposed to be mature enough and responsible enough to take control of your own life. If you are supposed to be mature enough and responsible enough to take control of your life, whether you are or not, then you should be allowed to begin excersizing your right to vote as well.
Personally I don't think that eighteen is an unreasonable age at which to expect these things. If for some reason or another people at this age tend not to fit the description "responsible and mature" perhaps we should focus on helping them attain those attributes before they reach that age instead of compensating by changing the age we expect it of them.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
Personally I don't think that eighteen is an unreasonable age at which to expect these things. If for some reason or another people at this age tend not to fit the description "responsible and mature" perhaps we should focus on helping them attain those attributes before they reach that age instead of compensating by changing the age we expect it of them.
I think that's a great argument to not change it. That highlights the issue I was thinking about if we raise the age: would that just raise the age these people start to act more mature because if we don't expect it of them, they'll live down to our expectations?

ray b, I think you also have a pretty good point (and a few others have made it too) that whatever age we decide people are mature enough to be adults, it should be consistent for all rights, privileges and responsibilities associated with adulthood. I could have asked the same question about many different topics associated with adulthood. I just stuck with voting because it seemed to fit best with this forum and seemed least likely to get derailed. You're either old enough to make decisions for yourself or you aren't.

I think you're all Fascist bastards for expecting people to live up to your own standards before they deserve their already severely limited right to autonomy and a say in their government.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that the US government should be instated by having a general election, where the electorate would be comprised of every single non-American on the planet.

:tongue:

devil-fire
i voted no because most of the people eager enough to vote at the age of 18 have a view they want represented. people who take the responsability lightly generaly dont vote at all.

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I voted no. The age shouldn't be raised, it should be lowered, or eliminated. Let the kids vote! They are no dumber than many adults.

see I didn't vote. I'm opposed to voting in general (in elections, not in polls) so I don't really care what the voting age is, it's corrupt either way.