Show aβ is a Basis for ℝ over Q

• Thread starter SMA_01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary: So if I take a finite subset of ℝ, then I can order the terms? Sorry, I just want to clarify.What's the precise definition of finite? If you know this basic definition, you should be able to answer your own...
SMA_01
Let β be a basis for ℝ over Q (the set of all rational numbers) and let a[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ, a≠1.

Show that aβ={ay|y[itex]\in[/itex]β} is a basis for ℝ over Q for all a≠0.

So I need to show (1) Linear independence, and (2) spanning. I am a little confused, especially because the dimension for the vector space is uncountably infinite.
Here is what I have for linear independence:

I took a finite subset of aβ, {az|z[itex]\in[/itex]S[itex]\subset[/itex]β, |S|<|ℝ|} (not sure if I wrote that correctly), so if

[itex]\sum_{z\in S}[/itex]az=0

then z must be zero since a≠0 (initial assumption). Therefore, it follows that aβ is linearly independent.

Is this correct?
I don't know how to approach spanning.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
SMA_01 said:
Let β be a basis for ℝ over Q (the set of all rational numbers) and let a[itex]\in[/itex]ℝ, a≠1.

Show that aβ={ay|y[itex]\in[/itex]β} is a basis for ℝ over Q for all a≠0.

So I need to show (1) Linear independence, and (2) spanning. I am a little confused, especially because the dimension for the vector space is uncountably infinite.
Here is what I have for linear independence:

I took a finite subset of aβ, {az|z[itex]\in[/itex]S[itex]\subset[/itex]β, |S|<|ℝ|} (not sure if I wrote that correctly), so if

[itex]\sum_{z\in S}[/itex]az=0

then z must be zero since a≠0 (initial assumption).
This seems like armwaving to me.
SMA_01 said:
Therefore, it follows that aβ is linearly independent.

Is this correct?
I don't know how to approach spanning.
Do you have a sense of what this problem is about? In particular, what a basis over Q that spans R might look like? For example, can you list a few of the basis elements of such a basis?

Given that β is some basis, you need to show that aβ is also a basis, where a ≠ 0.

To show that any set is a basis for some space, you need to do two things:
1. Show that the set of basis elements is linearly independent.
2. Show that the set of basis elements spans the space.

The latter requirement means that if x ##\in## R, then x can be written as a linear combination of the basis elements.

Likes 1 person
Do you have a sense of what this problem is about? In particular, what a basis over Q that spans R might look like? For example, can you list a few of the basis elements of such a basis?

Honestly, I can't fully grasp it intuitively. I know how a basis is for ℝ with n-dimension, but not ℝ.
I just can't see how something can span ℝ, is the standard basis applicable here?

Given that β is some basis, you need to show that aβ is also a basis, where a ≠ 0.

To show that any set is a basis for some space, you need to do two things:
1. Show that the set of basis elements is linearly independent.
2. Show that the set of basis elements spans the space.

The latter requirement means that if x ##\in## R, then x can be written as a linear combination of the basis elements.

If I can't show linear independence/spanning the usual way, how should I do this?

Thanks.

You do show independence the usual way. You need to show that for any finite subset ##\{v_1,v_2,\dots,v_n\} \subset a\beta## that
$$q_1 v_1 + q_2 v_2 + \cdots + q_n v_n = 0$$ implies ##q_1=q_2=\cdots=q_n=0##, where ##q_i \in \mathbb{Q}##. What you wrote above doesn't show this. For one thing, there's no mention of the ##q_i##'s.

Likes 1 person
vela said:
You do show independence the usual way. You need to show that for any finite subset ##\{v_1,v_2,\dots,v_n\} \subset a\beta## that
$$q_1 v_1 + q_2 v_2 + \cdots + q_n v_n = 0$$ implies ##q_1=q_2=\cdots=q_n=0##, where ##q_i \in \mathbb{Q}##. What you wrote above doesn't show this. For one thing, there's no mention of the ##q_i##'s.

But a basis for ℝ over Q is uncountable, so how can I take a finite, countable subset?

SMA_01 said:
But a basis for ℝ over Q is uncountable, so how can I take a finite, countable subset?

Because that's the definition of linear independence. To show it's linearly independent you need to show every finite subset is linearly independent.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Because that's the definition of linear independence. To show it's linearly independent you need to show every finite subset is linearly independent.

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I take a finite subset, I thought it won't be countable? Like I can't order the terms...

Finite implies countable.

vela said:
Finite implies countable.

So if I take a finite subset of ℝ, then I can order the terms? Sorry, I just want to clarify.

What's the precise definition of finite? If you know this basic definition, you should be able to answer your own question.

Likes 1 person

Related to Show aβ is a Basis for ℝ over Q

1. What is a basis for ℝ over Q?

A basis for ℝ over Q is a set of numbers that can be used to represent any real number using rational numbers (numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers). In other words, it is a set of numbers that can form a linear combination to create any real number.

2. Why is it important to show aβ is a basis for ℝ over Q?

It is important to show aβ is a basis for ℝ over Q because it provides a basis for understanding real numbers in terms of rational numbers. This is useful in various areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra and number theory. It also helps to understand the structure of real numbers and their relationship to rational numbers.

3. How do you show that aβ is a basis for ℝ over Q?

To show that aβ is a basis for ℝ over Q, we need to prove two things: linear independence and span. First, we need to show that the set of numbers in aβ are linearly independent, meaning that no number in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. Then, we need to show that the set spans ℝ, meaning that any real number can be expressed as a linear combination of the numbers in aβ.

4. What are some applications of showing aβ is a basis for ℝ over Q?

One application of showing aβ is a basis for ℝ over Q is in number theory, where it can be used to study the properties of real numbers and their relationships to rational numbers. It also has applications in linear algebra, where it is used to understand vector spaces and their dimensions. Additionally, understanding the basis for ℝ over Q can lead to a deeper understanding of calculus and other areas of mathematics.

5. Are there other bases for ℝ over Q?

Yes, there are other bases for ℝ over Q, but aβ is a commonly used and important basis. Other examples of bases for ℝ over Q include the set of square roots of prime numbers and the set of logarithms of prime numbers. Each basis has its own unique properties and can be useful in different mathematical contexts.