Show Boundedness of Entire Function f: f(z) = f(z + 2π ) & f(z + 2π i)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use Liouville's theorem to prove that an entire function f is constant if it satisfies the conditions f(z) = f(z + 2π ) and f(z) = f(z + 2π i) for all z in the complex plane. The hint is to consider the restriction of f to a specific square and use the fact that f is "periodic" with periods 2π and 2π i to show that it is bounded and therefore constant.
alvielwj
How to show that if f is an entire function,such that f(z) = f(z + 2π ) and f(z) = f(z + 2π i)
for all z belong to C.
π is pi.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
alvielwj said:
How to show that if f is an entire function,such that f(z) = f(z + 2π ) and f(z) = f(z + 2π i)
for all z belong to C.
π is pi.
How to show "if ..."

but where is your conclusion? What do you want to prove?

need to prove f(z) is constant.
first show f is bounded,then by the Liouville's theorem, f is constant

let me post the whole question
Suppose that f is an entire function such that f(z) = f(z + 2π ) and f(z) = f(z + 2π i)
for all z belong to C. Use Liouville's theorem to show that f is constant.
Hint: Consider the restriction of f to the square {z = x + iy : 0 <x < 2π ; 0 < y <2π }

Looks like a good hint! Although wasn't it [itex]0\le x\le 2\pi[/itex], [itex]0\le y\le 2\pi[/itex]? The "=" part is important because that way the set is both closed and bounded and so any continuous function is bounded on it. Since f is "periodic" with periods [itex]2\pi[/itex] and [itex]2\pi i[/itex], the bounds on that square are the bounds for all z.

Thank you for your answer..
I finally know how to use the hint..
At the beginning i really don't know how to start..

Related to Show Boundedness of Entire Function f: f(z) = f(z + 2π ) & f(z + 2π i)

1. What is an entire function?

An entire function is a complex-valued function that is defined and analytic (differentiable) at every point in the complex plane. This means that it has no singularities or poles in its domain.

2. How do you show boundedness of an entire function?

To show boundedness of an entire function, we can use Liouville's theorem, which states that any entire function that is bounded on the entire complex plane must be a constant function. Therefore, if we can show that the given function is bounded, we can conclude that it is a constant function.

3. What does f(z) = f(z + 2π) mean?

This means that the given function has period 2π, which means that it repeats itself every 2π units in the complex plane. This is similar to the concept of periodic functions in real analysis.

4. How does the periodicity affect the boundedness of the function?

The periodicity of the function does not affect its boundedness. Even though the function repeats itself every 2π units, it still remains an entire function, and its boundedness can be determined using Liouville's theorem.

5. Can you give an example of an entire function with period 2π?

One example of an entire function with period 2π is f(z) = eiz, also known as the exponential function. This function repeats itself every 2π units in the complex plane, but it is still bounded, as it takes on values between 0 and 1.