Is the Curve C Regular for Different Values of d and r?

In summary: When cos(θ[R/r])=0 we have d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²and Min when cos(θ[R/r])=1 we have d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²-2d(R+r)²/r
Dassinia
Hello !

Homework Statement

Consider a parametrized curve
C(θ)=( (R+r)*cos(θ) - d*cos(θ(R+r)/r) ; (R+r)*sin(θ) - d*sin(θ(R+r)/r) )
Show that C is regular for d<r. Is it regular if d=r ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

C'(θ)=( -(R+r)*sin(θ) +d*(R+r)/r*sin(θ(R+r)/r) ; (R+r)*cos(θ) - d*(R+r)/r*cos(θ(R+r)/r) )
I don't know how to show that it is regular for d<r, i am supposed to show that C'(θ)≠0 but I don't know how to introduce the condition to prove that

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have found [itex]\frac{dx}{d\theta}, \frac{dy}{d\theta} [/itex], which are the components of the tangent. Now find the length of that vector.

By using sin²x+cos²x=1 and using formulas for cos(a)*cos(b) and sin(a)*sin(b) I ended up with
d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²-2d(R+r)²/r * cos(θ[(R+r)/r -(R+r)])

Dassinia said:
By using sin²x+cos²x=1 and using formulas for cos(a)*cos(b) and sin(a)*sin(b) I ended up with
d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²-2d(R+r)²/r * cos(θ[(R+r)/r -(R+r)])
So what are the maximum and minimum value of that expression?

Max when cos(θ[(R+r)/r -(R+r)])=0 we have d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²
and Min when cos(θ[(R+r)/r -(R+r)])=1 we have d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²-2d(R+r)²/r

There's a mistake in my equations it is
d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²-2d(R+r)²/r * cos(θ[(R+r)/r -1])

Max when cos(θ[R/r])=0 we have d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²
and Min when cos(θ[R/r])=1 we have d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²-2d(R+r)²/r

Last edited:
Dassinia said:
Max when cos(θ[R/r])=0 we have d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²
and Min when cos(θ[R/r])=1 we have d²(R+r)²/r²+(R+r)²-2d(R+r)²/r
So, the maximum is >0. The minimum is (R+r)²(d²/r² -2d/r + 1) = (R+r)²(d/r -1)2 which is ≥0. When is the minimum = 0?

Related to Is the Curve C Regular for Different Values of d and r?

1. What does it mean for a curve to be regular?

A curve is considered regular if it has a well-defined tangent line at every point along the curve, and if the derivative of the curve is non-zero at every point.

2. How can you determine if a curve is regular?

To determine if a curve is regular, you can use the definition of regularity which states that the curve must have a well-defined tangent line and a non-zero derivative at every point. You can also graph the curve and look for any points where the curve appears to have a sharp turn or corner, as these points may indicate a lack of regularity.

3. What is the significance of having a regular curve?

A regular curve is significant because it allows for smooth and continuous movement along the curve, without any sudden changes in direction or velocity. This is important in many applications, such as in engineering or physics, where a curve's regularity can affect the overall performance and stability of a system.

4. Can a curve be regular at some points and not regular at others?

Yes, a curve can be regular at some points and not regular at others. This often occurs at points where the curve has a sharp turn or corner, as these points may not have a well-defined tangent line or a non-zero derivative. However, the overall regularity of a curve is determined by the majority of its points.

5. How can regularity of a curve be helpful in solving mathematical problems?

The regularity of a curve can be helpful in solving mathematical problems because it allows for the use of techniques and formulas that rely on the smoothness and continuity of a curve. These techniques can help simplify and solve complex problems involving curves, such as finding the area under a curve or determining the maximum or minimum values of a function.