Show that a definite integral is positive

In summary, it is shown that the integrand, x^n and sin(\frac{\pi x}{2}), are both positive over the interval (0,1). Therefore, the definite integral is greater than zero for all values of n. However, this method may not work for all cases and it is better to state the fact that the sin function is always positive between 0 and pi/2.
danago
Gold Member
Show that [tex]\int_0^1 {x^n \sin \left( {\frac{{\pi x}}{2}} \right)} {\kern 1pt} dx > 0[/tex] for all [tex]{\rm{n}} \ge {\rm{0}}[/tex]

Basically, what i want to show is that over the interval (0,1), the integrand is above the x-axis, or positive. I will show that over the interval, both functions, [tex]x^n[/tex] and [tex]sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})[/tex] are both positive.

For the trig function, this is how i proceeded:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
0 < x < 1 \\
0 < \frac{{\pi x}}{2} < \frac{\pi }{2} \\
\sin 0 < \sin \left( {\frac{{\pi x}}{2}} \right) < \sin \left( {\frac{\pi }{2}} \right) \\
0 < \sin \left( {\frac{{\pi x}}{2}} \right) < 1 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Is that a valid way of doing it?

For the xn function, i took the same approach:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
0 < x < 1 \\
0^n < x^n < 1^n \\
0 < x^n < 1 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Since, over the interval of (0,1) of which the function is being integrated, the integrand is positive, the definite integral will be positive for all values of n.

My main question though; Is my approach a good way of doing such a problem? It seemed to work fine for this question, but are there cases where i can't use such a method?

My book has this for an answer:

Let [tex]g(x)=x^n[/tex] and [tex]h(x)=sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})[/tex].

On the interval 0 < x < 1 , g(x)>0. On the same interval, h(x)>0, therefore, the definite integral is greater than zero.

That is basically the concept i used, but i really don't like that method, since it really doesn't show much, and in exams, depending on the marker, i may lose marks for such a bland proof, which is why I am wanting to use a more solid proof.

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

EDIT: Just realized that this method using the inequalities does not work for all cases. But it should work if the function is strictly increasing, or strictly decreasing over the interval, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
danago said:
Show that [tex]\int_0^1 {x^n \sin \left( {\frac{{\pi x}}{2}} \right)} {\kern 1pt} dx > 0[/tex] for all [tex]{\rm{n}} \ge {\rm{0}}[/tex]

Basically, what i want to show is that over the interval (0,1), the integrand is above the x-axis, or positive. I will show that over the interval, both functions, [tex]x^n[/tex] and [tex]sin(\frac{\pi x}{2})[/tex] are both positive.

For the trig function, this is how i proceeded:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
0 < x < 1 \\
0 < \frac{{\pi x}}{2} < \frac{\pi }{2} \\
\sin 0 < \sin \left( {\frac{{\pi x}}{2}} \right) < \sin \left( {\frac{\pi }{2}} \right) \\
0 < \sin \left( {\frac{{\pi x}}{2}} \right) < 1 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Is that a valid way of doing it?

No. Consider using your logic to get the following obviosuly wrong result:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
0 < x < 1 \\
0 < \pi x < \pi \\
\sin 0 < \sin \left( \pi x\right) < \sin \left( \pi \right) \\
0 < \sin \left( \pi x \right) < 0 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Don't try to do a proof with usual manipulation of inequalities when you have trig functions like this because trig functions are not monotonous, they increase and then decrease and so on.

You should simply state it as an obvious fact that for an argument between 0 and pi/2, the sin function is always positive.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has two limits, the lower limit and the upper limit, which define the range of the integration.

2. How do you show that a definite integral is positive?

To show that a definite integral is positive, you need to evaluate the integral and check if the result is greater than zero. If the result is positive, then the definite integral is positive.

3. What are the conditions for a definite integral to be positive?

A definite integral is positive if the function being integrated is positive within the given limits and the area under the curve is above the x-axis. If the function is negative within the given limits, then the definite integral will be negative.

4. Can a definite integral be negative?

Yes, a definite integral can be negative. This happens when the function being integrated is negative within the given limits and the area under the curve is below the x-axis. In this case, the definite integral will be represented by a negative value.

5. Why is it important to show that a definite integral is positive?

Showing that a definite integral is positive is important because it helps in understanding the behavior of a function and its relationship with the x-axis. It also helps in calculating the total area under a curve, which is useful in many real-life applications such as calculating work done, finding the average value of a function, and determining the volume of a solid.