1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a metric space is complete

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given (R+, d), R-Real #
    d= | ln(x/y) |

Show that this metric space is complete

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Firstly, I know that to show it is complete I need to have that all Cauchy sequences in that space converge...

So I'm not 100% sure, but if I know I have to generalize so that it works for every Cauchy sequence, so can I find subsequences that converge, and then say that each sequence converges??? :S if so, how do I start this without picking specific cases, or can I pick a specific sequence in that space?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    Hello.

Trying to find a convergent subsequence of a cauchy sequence is indeed enough, but in a lot of cases you don't need to specifically focus on subsequences. I will tell you that in this problem you won't need to bother with subsequences, it'll be more direct to directly proof that a cauchy sequence has a limit.

Specific cases are a good way to get a feel for the problem. Problems where specific cases are really useful are those where the question is more open-ended: "Take this metric space ... Is it complete? Yes/no and prove this" but here you already know that it will be complete, so you can jump in:
    [tex]\textrm{Take a cauchy sequence $(x_n)_n$ in the metric space $M := (\mathbb R^+,d)$ with $d(x,y) = |\ln(\frac{x}{y})|$. We will now prove that there is an $x \in M$ such that $x_n \to x$ in $M$:}[/tex]
    And then it's up to you ;)

Of course, first we need to get an idea of what that limit would look like, before we can prove that it exists. As a hint, rewrite |ln(x/y)| as |ln(x) - ln(y)|. Hint #2: literally write down what it means for x_n to be a cauchy sequence, using the rewritten form of the metric in hint #1. Let this inspire you.

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    Hm, ok.. I noticed the rewrite you mentioned, and attempted to do something with it to somehow get a lovely conclusion but I'm not sure what it is.

I have | ln(xj) - ln(xi) |, what i need is something greater than or equal to that.. i first thought of the triangle inequality but i don't know what i would use...

Maybe there is another trick I am not seeing.

Thanks for your help!

5. Sep 26, 2011 #4
    When you have to prove that a metric space is complete, the only space that we know that is complete, is R, so...

6. Sep 26, 2011 #5
    um, can i just say since R is complete, i can find for any sequence xn in R+, an x s/t lim xn = x... and th rest follows?

7. Sep 27, 2011 #6
    Given a cauchy sequence x_n in M (with M defined as in my previous post),
    what can you say about the sequence ln(x_n) in R+ with the normal metric?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook