Show that a metric space is complete

In summary, to show that the metric space (R+, d) is complete, we must prove that all Cauchy sequences in the space converge. This can be done by finding a convergent subsequence or directly proving that the sequence has a limit. In this case, it is more direct to prove that a Cauchy sequence has a limit. To do this, we can rewrite the metric as |ln(x) - ln(y)| and use the fact that R is complete. By showing that for any sequence x_n in R+, there exists an x such that lim x_n = x, the rest of the proof follows.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Given (R+, d), R-Real #
d= | ln(x/y) |

Show that this metric space is complete

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I know that to show it is complete I need to have that all Cauchy sequences in that space converge...

So I'm not 100% sure, but if I know I have to generalize so that it works for every Cauchy sequence, so can I find subsequences that converge, and then say that each sequence converges? :S if so, how do I start this without picking specific cases, or can I pick a specific sequence in that space?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Trying to find a convergent subsequence of a cauchy sequence is indeed enough, but in a lot of cases you don't need to specifically focus on subsequences. I will tell you that in this problem you won't need to bother with subsequences, it'll be more direct to directly proof that a cauchy sequence has a limit.

Specific cases are a good way to get a feel for the problem. Problems where specific cases are really useful are those where the question is more open-ended: "Take this metric space ... Is it complete? Yes/no and prove this" but here you already know that it will be complete, so you can jump in:
[tex]\textrm{Take a cauchy sequence $(x_n)_n$ in the metric space $M := (\mathbb R^+,d)$ with $d(x,y) = |\ln(\frac{x}{y})|$. We will now prove that there is an $x \in M$ such that $x_n \to x$ in $M$:}[/tex]
And then it's up to you ;)

Of course, first we need to get an idea of what that limit would look like, before we can prove that it exists. As a hint, rewrite |ln(x/y)| as |ln(x) - ln(y)|. Hint #2: literally write down what it means for x_n to be a cauchy sequence, using the rewritten form of the metric in hint #1. Let this inspire you.

Hm, ok.. I noticed the rewrite you mentioned, and attempted to do something with it to somehow get a lovely conclusion but I'm not sure what it is.

I have | ln(xj) - ln(xi) |, what i need is something greater than or equal to that.. i first thought of the triangle inequality but i don't know what i would use...

Maybe there is another trick I am not seeing.

Thanks for your help!

When you have to prove that a metric space is complete, the only space that we know that is complete, is R, so...

um, can i just say since R is complete, i can find for any sequence xn in R+, an x s/t lim xn = x... and th rest follows?

Given a cauchy sequence x_n in M (with M defined as in my previous post),
what can you say about the sequence ln(x_n) in R+ with the normal metric?

Related to Show that a metric space is complete

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of elements and a distance function that assigns a real number to every pair of elements. This distance function must satisfy certain properties, such as being non-negative, symmetric, and satisfying the triangle inequality.

2. How do you prove that a metric space is complete?

To prove that a metric space is complete, we must show that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point in the space. This can be done by showing that the sequence has a limit point in the space and that all limit points are contained in the space. Alternatively, we can show that every Cauchy sequence is convergent by constructing a convergent series with the same terms as the sequence.

3. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence in a metric space where the distance between any two terms in the sequence can be made arbitrarily small by choosing a sufficiently large term in the sequence. In other words, the terms in the sequence become increasingly closer together as the sequence progresses.

4. What is the importance of completeness in a metric space?

Completeness is an important property in a metric space as it ensures that all Cauchy sequences in the space converge to a point in the space. This allows us to make meaningful statements about the convergence of sequences and the existence of limit points in the space.

5. Can a metric space be both complete and incomplete?

No, a metric space cannot be both complete and incomplete. A space is either complete or incomplete, depending on whether or not all Cauchy sequences in the space converge to a point in the space. If a metric space is not complete, then there exists at least one Cauchy sequence that does not converge, making the space incomplete. On the other hand, if all Cauchy sequences in a space converge, then the space is complete.