Show that a series is divergent

In summary, a divergent series is one that has an infinite or non-converging sum, and its terms continue to increase without bound. To show that a series is divergent, one can use techniques such as the comparison test or the divergence test. A series cannot be both convergent and divergent, and it is possible for a series to be divergent even if its terms approach zero or alternate between positive and negative.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

Show that $$\frac{(-1)^nn!}{z^n}$$ is divergent.

Homework Equations

We can use the ratio test, which states that if, $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\bigg|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\bigg|>1$$ a series is divergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the ratio test, we find that $$\bigg|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\bigg|=\frac{n+1}{z}.$$ I'm having trouble showing why the limit of this must be greater than one.

Physics news on Phys.org
vbrasic said:
I'm having trouble showing why the limit of this must be greater than one.
Hi vbrasic:

I suggest you think about the numerator and he denominator separately with respect to which gets larger than the other as n changes.

Regards,
Buzz

vbrasic said:

Homework Statement

Show that $$\frac{(-1)^nn!}{z^n}$$ is divergent.

Homework Equations

We can use the ratio test, which states that if, $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\bigg|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\bigg|>1$$ a series is divergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying the ratio test, we find that $$\bigg|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\bigg|=\frac{n+1}{z}.$$ I'm having trouble showing why the limit of this must be greater than one.

Your ration ##|a_{n+1}/a_n|## is wrong: you need ##|z|## in the denominator (and that is crucial, not just a minor quibble).

Added in the missing absoute value. I think the reason it must be greater than one in the limit is because for any complex number, we may write it as ##re^{i\phi},## with magnitude ##r##. Given then that ##r## is finite, we have that the limit tends to ##\infty## because of the ##n## in the numerator. Does that sound okay?

vbrasic said:
Added in the missing absoute value. I think the reason it must be greater than one in the limit is because for any complex number, we may write it as ##re^{i\phi},## with magnitude ##r##. Given then that ##r## is finite, we have that the limit tends to ##\infty## because of the ##n## in the numerator. Does that sound okay?

Yes, it's OK. But is would be easier to just say that for any given ##z##, the quantity ##|z|## is some positive finite number, and eventually all the ##n+1## well exceed it.

1. What does it mean for a series to be divergent?

When a series is divergent, it means that the sum of its terms is infinite or does not converge to a finite value. In other words, the series does not have a finite sum and its terms continue to increase without bound.

2. How can I show that a series is divergent?

There are several techniques that can be used to show that a series is divergent. One common method is to use the comparison test, where the divergent series is compared to another known divergent series. Another approach is to use the divergence test, where the limit of the series' terms is taken and evaluated. If the limit is non-zero, then the series is divergent.

3. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series is convergent, it means that its terms sum up to a finite value, while a divergent series has an infinite or non-converging sum. It is not possible for a series to have both of these characteristics.

4. Is it possible for a series to be divergent even if its terms approach zero?

Yes, it is possible for a series to have terms that approach zero, but still be divergent. This is because the terms may decrease at a very slow rate, causing the sum to continue increasing without bound.

5. Can a series be divergent if its terms alternate between positive and negative?

Yes, a series can still be divergent even if its terms alternate between positive and negative. In this case, the series can be evaluated using the alternating series test, which considers the alternating behavior of the terms. If the series fails this test, it is divergent.