1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a triple integral = pi/4

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1

hm8

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that

[itex]\int\int\int \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}} [/itex] [itex] e^{-({x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}})} dxdydz = \pi/4[/itex] where the bounds of x, y, and z are 0 to infinity

(The improper integral is defined as the limit of a triple integral over the piece of a solid sphere which lies in the first octant as the radius of the sphere increases indefinitely).

2. Relevant equations

In spherical coordinates, ρ2 = x2 + y2 + z2
    dxdydz = ρ2sin∅ drho dpho dtheta

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried converting to spherical coordinates, which gave me

[itex]\int\int\int ρ^{3} [/itex] [itex] e^{-ρ^{2}} sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta[/itex]

But I'm not sure what my bounds would be (isn't ρ in relation to theta or phi somehow?) or even if I did, I'm not sure I could integrate it...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since x, y, z range from 0 to infinity, you are talking about the first octant. To cover all four quadrants, [itex]\theta[/itex] normally ranges from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. To cover just the first quadrant, it ranges from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. To cover all values of z, [itex]\phi[/itex] normally ranges from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], to cover just z> 0 it must vary from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

4. Mar 15, 2012 #3

hm8

What about p?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook