Show that (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity

• Thread starter demonelite123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, to show that ##q_n^2## approaches 2 as n approaches infinity, you need to show that ##|\frac{m_n^2}{n^2} - 2| < ε##. This can be done by manipulating the original inequality to get a bound for ##|q_n|## and using the triangle inequality.
demonelite123
For every natural number n, associate with it a natural number mn such that [itex] \frac{{m_n}^2}{n^2} < 2 < \frac{{(m_n + 1)^2}}{n^2} [/itex]. show that [itex] {q_n}^2 [/itex]approaches 2 as n approaches infinity.

i need to show that [itex] |\frac{{m_n}^2}{n^2} - 2| < ε [/itex]. what i have so far is that [itex] 2 - \frac{{m_n}^2}{n^2} < \frac{{(m_n + 1)^2}}{n^2} - \frac{{m_n}^2}{n^2} = \frac{2m_n + 1}{n^2} [/itex].

my trouble is that i can't figure out a way to bound m_n. i know how to take care of the n2 by choosing N such that N2ε > 1 and choosing n > N. can someone give me a hint on how to deal with the m_n? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is ##q_n## supposed to be ##m_n##? If so, your original inequality can be manipulated to look like something1 < something2 - m_n^2 - 2m_n < something3, which can start you off towards a bound.

If ##q_n## is not ##m_n##, what is it?

Mute said:
Is ##q_n## supposed to be ##m_n##? If so, your original inequality can be manipulated to look like something1 < something2 - m_n^2 - 2m_n < something3, which can start you off towards a bound.

If ##q_n## is not ##m_n##, what is it?

sorry i forgot to include this: [itex] q_n = \frac{m_n}{n} [/itex]

Ok, so your inequality is

$$q_n^2 < 2 < \left(q_n + \frac{1}{n}\right)^2$$

What if you try to find the limit of ##|q_n|## instead of ##q_n^2##? It looks to me like you can easily get a bound for ##|q_n|## from your inequality. The triangle inequality will come in handy for that.

Related to Show that (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity

1. What does it mean for (q_n)^2 to approach 2 as n goes to infinity?

When we say that (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity, it means that as the value of n increases towards infinity, the value of (q_n)^2 gets closer and closer to 2. In other words, the sequence (q_n)^2 converges to the limit of 2 as n approaches infinity.

2. How do you show that (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity?

To show that (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity, we need to prove that for any small positive number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n ≥ N, the absolute value of (q_n)^2 - 2 is less than ε. This can be done using the definition of a limit, along with some algebraic manipulation and the properties of sequences.

3. What is the significance of (q_n)^2 approaching 2 as n goes to infinity?

The fact that (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity has significant implications in various fields of mathematics and science. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and analysis, and is used to study the behavior of functions and sequences. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and economics, among others.

4. Can you give an example of a sequence where (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity?

An example of a sequence where (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity is the sequence q_n = 1 + 1/n. When we square this sequence, we get (q_n)^2 = (1 + 1/n)^2 = 1 + 2/n + 1/n^2. As n approaches infinity, the terms 2/n and 1/n^2 become smaller and smaller, and eventually approach 0. This leaves us with the limit of (q_n)^2 as n approaches infinity, which is equal to 1 + 0 + 0 = 1. Therefore, (q_n)^2 approaches 1 as n goes to infinity.

5. Is it possible for (q_n)^2 to approach a different limit other than 2 as n goes to infinity?

Yes, it is possible for (q_n)^2 to approach a different limit other than 2 as n goes to infinity. The limit that (q_n)^2 approaches depends on the specific sequence q_n. For example, if q_n = 1/n, then (q_n)^2 will approach 0 as n goes to infinity. It is important to note that the limit of (q_n)^2 as n approaches infinity is not always 2, and can vary depending on the sequence.