1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that (q_n)^2 approaches 2 as n goes to infinity

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    For every natural number n, associate with it a natural number mn such that [itex] \frac{{m_n}^2}{n^2} < 2 < \frac{{(m_n + 1)^2}}{n^2} [/itex]. show that [itex] {q_n}^2 [/itex]approaches 2 as n approaches infinity.

i need to show that [itex] |\frac{{m_n}^2}{n^2} - 2| < ε [/itex]. what i have so far is that [itex] 2 - \frac{{m_n}^2}{n^2} < \frac{{(m_n + 1)^2}}{n^2} - \frac{{m_n}^2}{n^2} = \frac{2m_n + 1}{n^2} [/itex].

my trouble is that i can't figure out a way to bound m_n. i know how to take care of the n2 by choosing N such that N2ε > 1 and choosing n > N. can someone give me a hint on how to deal with the m_n? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Is ##q_n## supposed to be ##m_n##? If so, your original inequality can be manipulated to look like something1 < something2 - m_n^2 - 2m_n < something3, which can start you off towards a bound.

If ##q_n## is not ##m_n##, what is it?

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3
    sorry i forgot to include this: [itex] q_n = \frac{m_n}{n} [/itex]

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Ok, so your inequality is

$$q_n^2 < 2 < \left(q_n + \frac{1}{n}\right)^2$$

What if you try to find the limit of ##|q_n|## instead of ##q_n^2##? It looks to me like you can easily get a bound for ##|q_n|## from your inequality. The triangle inequality will come in handy for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook