Show that the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are real.

In summary, the eigenvalues of the hermitian operator are real, and the expectation value of the hamiltonian is real.
leoflindall

Homework Statement

Show that the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are real. Show the expectation value of the hamiltonian is real.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do i approach this question? I can show that the operator is hermitian by showing that Tmn = (Tnm)* with no problems.

I know that the outcome of a measurement must be real, so;

<Q> = <Q>*

Do I need to apply a Hermitian operator to a wave function, and determine the expectation value and show that this satisfys the above condition?

And if so how do i show this in general?

*****UPDATED*****
I have found the following proof (Intro to quantum mechanics, griffiths)

Suppose Q^ f = q f, (1)

(f(x) is an eigenfunction of Q^ , with eigenvlaue q), and;

< f l Q^ f > = < Q^ f l f > (2)

then

q < f l f > = q* < f l f > (3)

as < f l f > cannot be zero, then q must equal q*, and thus the eigen values are real.

Is it possible to do this proof in intergral form? I kind of understand this, but any additional explanation of the step between (2) and (3) would be really helpfull.

How do I follow on from this to show that the expectation value must also be real?

I know this isn't hard but have managed to confuse myself, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remind yourself what the integral form of expectation value is. Write it down, then remember what was taught in your class about these inner products. :) Should be simple from there.

Do you have somewhere in your notes a definition for the expectation value of an observable represented by an operator A in an arbitrary state represented by a unit vector [itex] \psi [/itex] ? Use it and use the fact that, if A can be chosen for simplicity as only posessing a spectrum made up only of eigenvalues and A is self-adjoint, the Hilbert space A <lives> in admits a denumerable basis made up only from A's eigenvectors. On a second thought, trash that. It's an unnecessary complication. Just use the definition of expectation value and the one for hermiticity (or symmetry for the mathematically minded reader).

What is a hermitian operator?

A hermitian operator is a type of linear operator in quantum mechanics that has a special property known as Hermitian symmetry. This means that the operator is equal to its own adjoint, or conjugate transpose.

What are eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are the values that satisfy the eigenvalue equation for a given matrix or operator. In other words, they are the values that, when multiplied by a eigenvector, result in a scalar multiple of that eigenvector.

Why are the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator important?

The eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are important because they correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement in quantum mechanics. They are also useful for determining the properties of a system, such as its energy levels or stability.

How do you show that the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are real?

To show that the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are real, we can use the fact that the operator is equal to its own adjoint. This means that the eigenvalues of the operator and its adjoint are the same. Since the adjoint of a hermitian operator is its complex conjugate, the eigenvalues must also be complex conjugates of each other. Therefore, the eigenvalues must be real numbers.

What is the significance of real eigenvalues in a hermitian operator?

The significance of real eigenvalues in a hermitian operator is that they correspond to measurable physical quantities in quantum mechanics. This means that the eigenvalues can be observed and used to make predictions about the behavior of a system. Real eigenvalues also indicate that the operator is self-adjoint, which has important implications in quantum mechanics.