Show that the total energy of a system of charged particles is conserved

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of N particles interacting electrostatically, with masses m1, m2, ... mN and electrical charges q1, q2, .. qN. The formula for the total energy is constructed and shown to be conserved. There is a mistake in the solution where F does not equal m*dot(v), but rather F = m*dot(v) or F = m*|dot(v)|. The conversation suggests trying to deduce back to the form dE_kinetic = dW = F*d(r) using vectors instead of scalar quantities.
Inferior89

Homework Statement

We have a system with N particles with masses m1, m2, ... mN and electrical charges q1, q2, .. qN that interact electrostatically. We assume these interactions are instantaneous. Construct the formula for the total energy and show that this is conserved.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have done so far:
http://i.imgur.com/xfIbB.png

I am not sure how to continue or if this is on the right track. It sort of seems to be going the right way but obviously the expression inside the square bracket won't be zero since this would mean that the energy is conserved for every individual particle which is not true. However, I am not sure how to show that the whole sum will be zero.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does [tex]r_{ij}, v_{ij}[/tex] mean?
Try rewritting this in terms of the [tex]\vec{x}_i[/tex].

There is one mistake in your solution: [tex]F \neq m\dot{v}[/tex].
We only have: [tex]\vec{F}=m\dot{\vec{v}}[/tex] or [tex]F=m|\dot{\vec{v}}|[/tex]
Why don't you try deducing back to this form: [tex]dE_{kinetic}=dW=\vec{F}d\vec{r}[/tex]? This is where it all begins :smile: That is, using vectors, instead of scalar quantities:
[tex]v_i^2=(\vec{v}_i)^2[/tex]
[tex]d(\frac{1}{r_{ij}})=-\frac{dr_{ij}}{r_{ij}^2}=-\frac{r_{ij}dr_{ij}}{r_{ij}^3}=-\frac{\vec{r}_{ij}d\vec{r}_{ij}}{r_{ij}^3}[/tex]

1. What is the definition of total energy in a system of charged particles?

The total energy of a system of charged particles is the sum of the kinetic energy and the potential energy of all the particles in the system.

2. How is energy conserved in a system of charged particles?

In a closed system, the total energy remains constant over time. This means that the total energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted between different forms.

3. What is the mathematical equation for the conservation of total energy in a system of charged particles?

The mathematical equation for the conservation of total energy in a system of charged particles is E = K + U, where E represents total energy, K represents kinetic energy, and U represents potential energy.

4. What factors contribute to the conservation of total energy in a system of charged particles?

The conservation of total energy in a system of charged particles is influenced by the properties of the particles, such as their mass and charge, as well as the distance between them and the strength of their interactions.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to a system of charged particles?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In a system of charged particles, the total energy remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.