Show that the unit circle is connected

In summary, S is a connected set in R^2, shown by defining a continuous function f that maps the interval [0,2pi] to S and using the theorem that path-connected implies connected. Additionally, the given parametrization can be used to show that there is a path within the space from any point to another. To further demonstrate this, if f:S->R is a continuous function, it can be shown that f(x) = f(-x) for some x in S by setting epsilon = 1 and using the inequalities -1+f(-p)<f(p)<1+f(-p).
Demon117
1. Show that S:= {(x,y)an element of R^2 : x^2 + y^2 =1} is connected.

2. Relevant theorems

1. Path-connected implies connected.

The Attempt at a Solution

Define f: [0,2pi] --> R^2 by f(x) = (cos(x),sin(x)).
This map is continuous, and its image is S^1. The interval [0,2pi] is connected, so its image is as well; which means S is path connected. Hence, by theorem S is connected.

Does this proof make sense, what else should I include?

Physics news on Phys.org
that looks reasaonable to me

note the paramterisation you've given can also be used to show there is a path within the space from any point to another

lanedance said:
that looks reasaonable to me

note the paramterisation you've given can also be used to show there is a path within the space from any point to another

That is a nice feature.

If f:S-->R was a continuous function, how might you show that f(x)=f(-x) for some x in S?

Here are my thoughts:

Since f is continuous, let epsilon = 1. Then for p, (-p) in S we have |f(p)-f(-p)|<1. Thus -1<f(p)-f(-p)<1 so that -1+f(-p)<f(p)<1+f(-p). It follows that f(p)>-1+f(-p) and f(p)<1+f(-p). This suggests that f(p)<f(-p) and f(p)>f(-P). I must show that these inequalities define open sets. But I am unsure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

What is the definition of a unit circle?

A unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin (0,0) on a Cartesian coordinate plane.

What does it mean for a curve to be connected?

A curve is connected if it is possible to travel from any point on the curve to any other point on the curve without leaving the curve. In other words, there are no breaks or gaps in the curve.

How can we prove that the unit circle is connected?

We can prove that the unit circle is connected by showing that every point on the circle can be connected to the origin (0,0) by a continuous path. This means that there are no breaks or gaps in the unit circle, and thus it is a connected curve.

Why is it important to show that the unit circle is connected?

The unit circle is an important concept in mathematics and physics, and its connectedness is crucial for understanding other mathematical concepts such as trigonometry and calculus. Additionally, the unit circle is used to represent complex numbers and plays a significant role in many fields of science and engineering.

Are there any real-world applications of the connectedness of the unit circle?

Yes, the connectedness of the unit circle has practical applications in fields such as navigation, astronomy, and surveying. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to represent and manipulate 2D and 3D shapes.