1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Show That There Is Only One Linear Transformation Proof Help Please

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    Show That There Is Only One Linear Transformation Proof Help Please!!

Hi, I have been trying this problem for a couple of days, I have done a proof but I don't know if it makes sense. If you want I can scan it and show it, but if someone can show me how to do it that would be more than amazing, I have midterms coming up soon :confused:

359eddl.jpg

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    Re: Show That There Is Only One Linear Transformation Proof Help Please!!

Haha... I'm going to assume you are in my class because this is on my assignment for this week!

I had difficulty with it too but I found this which was immensely helpful.

Scroll down to proposition 8.3. In the proof they talk about proposition 4.1, which we proved on a previous assignment.

Hope that helps :)

Attached Files:

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3

Hey thanks a lot that cleared things up!

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Suppse there were two such transformations, [itex]T_1[/itex] and [itex]T_2[/itex] [itex]T_1\ne T_2[/itex]. Any vector v can be written in terms of the basis vectors, [itex]v= a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nv_n[/itex].

Then [itex]T_1(v)=[/itex][itex] T_1(a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+[/itex][itex] \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nv_n)= T_1(a_1v_1)+ T_1(a_2v_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ T_1(a_nv_n)[/itex][itex]a_1T_1(v_1)+ a_2T_1(v_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nT_1(v_n)[/itex][itex]= a_1w_1+ a_2w_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nw_n[/itex].

Also [itex]T_2(v)= T_2(a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+[/itex][itex] \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nv_n)= T_2(a_1v_1)+ T_2(a_2v_2)+[/itex][itex] \cdot\cdot\cdot+ T_2(a_nv_n)= a_1T_1(v_1)+ a_2T_2(v_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nT_2(v_n)[/itex][itex]= a_1w_1+ a_2w_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nw_n[/itex].

That is, for any vector, v, [itex]T_1(v)= T_2(v)[/itex] contradicting the assumption that [itex]T_1\ne T_2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook