Show That There Is Only One Linear Transformation Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for showing that there can only be one linear transformation. One person shares a helpful resource and the other person provides a brief explanation of the proof. The conversation also includes a proof for the assumption of two different transformations, T_1 and T_2, which contradicts the original proof.
mmmboh
Show That There Is Only One Linear Transformation Proof Help Please!

Hi, I have been trying this problem for a couple of days, I have done a proof but I don't know if it makes sense. If you want I can scan it and show it, but if someone can show me how to do it that would be more than amazing, I have midterms coming up soon :confused:

359eddl.jpg

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Haha... I'm going to assume you are in my class because this is on my assignment for this week!

I had difficulty with it too but I found this which was immensely helpful.

Scroll down to proposition 8.3. In the proof they talk about proposition 4.1, which we proved on a previous assignment.

Hope that helps :)

Attachments

• lecture8.pdf
    91.8 KB · Views: 266

Hey thanks a lot that cleared things up!

Suppse there were two such transformations, [itex]T_1[/itex] and [itex]T_2[/itex] [itex]T_1\ne T_2[/itex]. Any vector v can be written in terms of the basis vectors, [itex]v= a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nv_n[/itex].

Then [itex]T_1(v)=[/itex][itex] T_1(a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+[/itex][itex] \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nv_n)= T_1(a_1v_1)+ T_1(a_2v_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ T_1(a_nv_n)[/itex][itex]a_1T_1(v_1)+ a_2T_1(v_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nT_1(v_n)[/itex][itex]= a_1w_1+ a_2w_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nw_n[/itex].

Also [itex]T_2(v)= T_2(a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+[/itex][itex] \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nv_n)= T_2(a_1v_1)+ T_2(a_2v_2)+[/itex][itex] \cdot\cdot\cdot+ T_2(a_nv_n)= a_1T_1(v_1)+ a_2T_2(v_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nT_2(v_n)[/itex][itex]= a_1w_1+ a_2w_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nw_n[/itex].

That is, for any vector, v, [itex]T_1(v)= T_2(v)[/itex] contradicting the assumption that [itex]T_1\ne T_2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the structure of the original space. It is often represented as a matrix multiplication and follows the rules of linearity, such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you prove that there is only one linear transformation?

To prove that there is only one linear transformation, you must show that for any given vector in the original space, there is only one possible image in the transformed space. This can be done by showing that the transformation is uniquely determined by its action on a basis of the original space.

3. Can you give an example of a linear transformation?

One example of a linear transformation is a rotation in two dimensions. This transformation takes a vector in the original space and rotates it by a certain angle, while preserving its length and direction. This can be represented as a matrix multiplication, where the matrix contains the necessary coefficients for the rotation.

4. What properties must a linear transformation have?

A linear transformation must have the following properties:

• Preservation of addition: T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v)
  • Preservation of scalar multiplication: T(cu) = cT(u)
  • Preservation of the zero vector: T(0) = 0
These properties ensure that the transformation maintains the structure of the original vector space.

5. How does this proof relate to other mathematical concepts?

This proof relies on the concepts of vector spaces, matrices, and linearity. It also has connections to other topics such as linear algebra, abstract algebra, and functional analysis. Understanding this proof is essential for further studying these mathematical concepts and their applications in various fields.