Show the norm ||x|| is less or equal to A|x| for some constant A

In summary, the problem is to show that the absolute value of x is less than or equal to A times the absolute value of x for all real numbers x, where A is a non-negative number. This proof can be done by using the properties of the norm function, which is a function that maps real vectors to real numbers and satisfies certain conditions. By considering the unit vectors and using the properties of the norm, it can be shown that A=|f(1)| is a suitable choice for this proof.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]\|x\| \leq A|x| \forall x \in \mathbb{R},[/tex] where [tex]A \geq 0.[/tex]

Homework Equations

We know the norm is a function [tex]f: {\mathbb{R}}^{d} \to \mathbb{R},[/tex] such that:
[tex]a) f(x) = 0 \iff x = 0,[/tex]
[tex]b) f(x+y) \leq f(x) + f(y),[/tex] and
[tex]c) f(cx) = |c|f(x) \forall c \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ugh, I'm completely stumped here, and don't know where to begin. I know that for the Euclidean norm this is trivial, but I don't know how to even begin showing this in general. In particular, I don't see where I could grasp the absolute value (or the dot product), or how to start comparing it to the norm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll just post a hint : try A=|f(1)|.

Hey, thanks for the hint, although I actually figured it out yesterday a couple of hours after posting :smile: I did it via the unit vectors and then expanding upon the properties b) and c). I assume this is what you were going for with the hint, as well, right?

Ryker said:
I did it via the unit vectors and then expanding upon the properties b) and c). I assume this is what you were going for with the hint, as well, right?

Yes, I thought on similar lines.

1. What does "Show the norm ||x|| is less or equal to A|x| for some constant A" mean?

The phrase "norm" refers to a mathematical concept that measures the length or size of a vector. The notation ||x|| represents the norm of vector x. The statement is asking for a proof that the norm of any vector x is less than or equal to the product of a constant A and the length of the vector |x|.

2. How is this statement relevant to scientific research?

This statement is relevant in many areas of science, particularly in fields that use vectors and matrices, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is also important in statistics and data analysis, where it is used to measure the accuracy of models and predictions.

3. What is the significance of the constant A in this statement?

The constant A serves as a scaling factor and allows us to compare the norm of different vectors. It is typically chosen to be a positive real number, and the statement is asking for a proof that there exists such a constant A that satisfies the inequality for all vectors x.

4. How would one go about proving this statement?

The proof would involve using mathematical techniques and properties of norms and vectors. It may also require knowledge of linear algebra. One approach could be to start by defining the norm ||x|| and showing that it is always a positive value. Then, manipulate the inequality using algebraic operations until it can be shown to be true for any vector x.

5. What are the implications of this statement for understanding vector spaces?

This statement is related to the concept of a normed vector space, which is a mathematical structure that consists of vectors with a defined norm. The statement shows that the norm of any vector in a normed vector space is bounded by a constant multiple of its length. This has implications for understanding the properties and behavior of vectors in such spaces.