Show their is only one ring morphism from Zn to Zk if k|n

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daveyboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Daveyboy
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


For the rings Zn and Zk show that if k|n, then the function f: Zn to Zk
s.t [x]n --->[x]k for all x in Zn
is a ring morphism. Show this is the only ring morphism from Zn to Zk.

The attempt at a solution

So I showed it is a ring morphism by just verifying the properties, no big deal. I have no idea how to show that it is the only one though.

I want to start out by contradiction and assume that their is another one... but I don't know what to do with that. Is there a way to show it directly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Once you know what f(1) is, you pretty much know what the morphism is, right? Is there any choice but to make f(1)=1?