Understanding a Vector Space Problem with n = 4

In summary: The union of all of the vectors in all of the cosets is V, yes. But that's not the point. V/U is a set of cosets, not a set of vectors. (a, b, c, d, e, f, 0, 0, 0, 0) is one coset, (a, b, c, d, e, f, 1, 0, 0, 0) is another coset. (a, b, c, d, e, f, 2, 0, 0, 0) is another coset. (a, b, c, d, e, f, 0, 1, 0, 0) is yet another coset. Each coset is
jdinatale
aaaa.png

I'm trying to understand this problem. Let's take an infinite dimensional vector space, say [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and let [itex]n = 4[/itex]. This problem states we can find a subspace $U$ such that dim(\mathbb{R}^2/U) = 4$. Well, one subspace of $\mathbb{R}^2$ is [itex]U = \{(x, y) : x*y \geq 0\}[/itex] (i.e. the first and third quadrant). So [itex]\mathbb{R}^2 / U = \{v + U : v \in \mathbb{R}^2\}[/itex]. But that means [itex]\mathbb{R}^2 / U = \mathbb{R}^2[/itex], right?

Physics news on Phys.org

jdinatale said:
aaaa.png

I'm trying to understand this problem. Let's take an infinite dimensional vector space, say [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] and let [itex]n = 4[/itex]. This problem states we can find a subspace $U$ such that dim(\mathbb{R}^2/U) = 4$. Well, one subspace of $\mathbb{R}^2$ is [itex]U = \{(x, y) : x*y \geq 0\}[/itex] (i.e. the first and third quadrant). So [itex]\mathbb{R}^2 / U = \{v + U : v \in \mathbb{R}^2\}[/itex]. But that means [itex]\mathbb{R}^2 / U = \mathbb{R}^2[/itex], right?

That's pretty much all wrong so far. Just because a vector space has an infinite number of vectors doesn't make it infinite dimensional. If the scalar field is R, R^2 isn't infinite dimensional, what is the dimension? U isn't a subspace, why not? Try and review some definitions.

Dick said:
That's pretty much all wrong so far. Just because a vector space has an infinite number of vectors doesn't make it infinite dimensional. If the scalar field is R, R^2 isn't infinite dimensional, what is the dimension? U isn't a subspace, why not? Try and review some definitions.

I feel really stupid for claiming that [itex]R^2[/itex] is infinite dimensional. Let me try again. Let [itex]V[/itex] be the set of all polynomials with coefficients in [itex]R[/itex]. Let [itex]n = 4[/itex].

We have to find a subspace of V, U such that V / U has degree 4.

But V / U is the set of all cosets of U in V. Let's say U is the set of all cubic polynomials. Wouldn't V / U = v + U = V?

jdinatale said:
I feel really stupid for claiming that [itex]R^2[/itex] is infinite dimensional. Let me try again. Let [itex]V[/itex] be the set of all polynomials with coefficients in [itex]R[/itex]. Let [itex]n = 4[/itex].

We have to find a subspace of V, U such that V / U has degree 4.

But V / U is the set of all cosets of U in V. Let's say U is the set of all cubic polynomials. Wouldn't V / U = v + U = V?

Well, no it wouldn't exactly be V. But it would be infinite dimensional, if that's what you mean. Let's skip the 'infinite dimensional' part for a bit. Suppose you are given the ten dimensional space V=R^10 and you want to show me that there is a subspace U of V such that V/U has dimension 4. How would you do that?

I would let [itex]U = \{(a, b, c, d, e, f, 0, 0, 0, 0) : a, b, c, d, e, f \in \mathbf{R}\}[/itex] Because I think there's a relationship where dim(V) = dim(U) + dim(V/U). Based on that equation, dim(V/U) = 4.

But that doesn't make sense to me because the set of all cosets of U in V
would be all (a, b, c, d, e, f, 0, 0, 0, 0) + V which would be V itself, right?

jdinatale said:
I would let [itex]U = \{(a, b, c, d, e, f, 0, 0, 0, 0) : a, b, c, d, e, f \in \mathbf{R}\}[/itex] Because I think there's a relationship where dim(V) = dim(U) + dim(V/U). Based on that equation, dim(V/U) = 4.

But that doesn't make sense to me because the set of all cosets of U in V
would be all (a, b, c, d, e, f, 0, 0, 0, 0) + V which would be V itself, right?

The union of all of the vectors in all of the cosets is V, yes. But that's not the point. V/U is a set of cosets, not a set of vectors. (a, b, c, d, e, f, 0, 0, 0, 0) is one coset, (a, b, c, d, e, f, 1, 0, 0, 0) is another coset. (a, b, c, d, e, f, 2, 0, 0, 0) is another coset. (a, b, c, d, e, f, 0, 1, 0, 0) is yet another coset. Each coset is itself a six dimensional space. The SET OF COSETS is 4 dimensional. Does that make sense?

1. What is a vector space problem?

A vector space problem is a mathematical problem that involves vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In order to solve a vector space problem, you must understand the properties and operations of vectors within a specific vector space.

2. What does n = 4 mean in a vector space problem?

In a vector space problem, n = 4 indicates that the vectors involved have 4 components or dimensions. This means that each vector has 4 numerical values or variables that represent its magnitude and direction in 4 different directions.

3. How do you approach solving a vector space problem with n = 4?

To solve a vector space problem with n = 4, you must first understand the properties of vectors and the operations that can be performed on them within that specific vector space. Then, you can use algebraic methods to manipulate and solve equations involving the vectors to find their values.

4. What is the significance of n = 4 in a vector space problem?

n = 4 carries a significant importance in a vector space problem because it tells you the number of dimensions or variables involved in the problem. This allows you to determine the complexity of the problem and what methods or techniques you may need to use to solve it.

5. Can a vector space problem with n = 4 have multiple solutions?

Yes, a vector space problem with n = 4 can have multiple solutions. This is because there are multiple combinations of values for the 4 dimensions that can satisfy the given equations or conditions in the problem. However, some vector space problems may have no solution or a unique solution depending on the specific constraints and properties involved.