Showing Integration Factor of Homogeneous Equation of Degree n

In summary, the problem statement is asking for an integrating factor of the homogeneous equation M(x, y)dx+N(x, y)dy=0 of degree n. Differentiating the terms with respect to y does not give the same result as differentiating with respect to x, and it is not clear how to get from one form to the other.
daveed
Hey...

So the question is as stated:

Show that
[tex] \frac{1} {M_x + N_y} [/tex], where [tex] M_x+N_y [/tex] is not identically zero, is an integrating factor of the homogeneous equation [tex]M(x, y)dx+N(x, y)dy=0[/tex] of degree n.

So I am not too sure where to go with this. I suppose what it's saying is, that I'm supposed to show that with the integrating factor, it's an exact equation, so differentiating the [tex] \frac{M(x, y)} {M_x + N_y}[/tex] term with respect to y should equal the value from differentiating [tex] \frac{N(x, y)} {M_x + N_y}[/tex] with respect to x...
but that doesn't work,
and I'm not sure what else will.

I'm looking at my book, which says that only sometimes will an integrating factor make an equation like this exact; however, it does say that [tex]M(x, y)dx+N(x, y)dy=0[/tex] has degree n. Does that imply that they are polynomial equations, and if so, how would this help me? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
daveed said:
Show that
[tex] \frac{1} {M_x + N_y} [/tex], where [tex] M_x+N_y [/tex] is not identically zero, is an integrating factor of the homogeneous equation [tex]M(x, y)dx+N(x, y)dy=0[/tex] of degree n.

Are you sure about the problem statement? Differential equations don't have a degree, they have an order.

I think the key is that the equation is homogeneous...

ie. [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-M(x,y)}{N(x,y)}[/tex]

but because of the homogenity,

* rethinking *

The right-hand side must be a function of [tex]\frac{x}{y}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{y}{x}[/tex]...

* probably best to ignore me on this one *

Last edited:
Are you sure about the problem statement? Differential equations don't have a degree, they have an order.

I asked my teacher about that part, and she says that it implies the functions [tex]M[/tex] and [tex]N[/tex] are algebraic functions of degree [tex]n[/tex]
However, I don't know how to incorporate that into a proof(because such a strategy for finding an integrating factor wouldn't be true in general, so the being a polynomial part must be important)

J77,
I am not quite sure what you mean. The problem states that that thing IS the integrating factor, so I assumed that by multiplying it out and "showing the result is exact" would be sufficient.

Do you think that I could get it in the form of [tex]F(y/x)[/tex] in every form? Because if so... I guess I could attempt a proof. The problem is, that the very next problem says to use the process from this problem, and , when we try it, the integrating factor still doesn't make the expression exact(in the second problem).
:confused:

daveed said:
J77,
I am not quite sure what you mean. The problem states that that thing IS the integrating factor, so I assumed that by multiplying it out and "showing the result is exact" would be sufficient.
yeah - I was a bit confused, sorry.

Sticking that solution back in, I end up with...

[tex]M_y(M_x+N_y)-M(M_{xy}+N_{yy})=N_x(M_x+N_y)-N(M_{xx}+N_{yx})[/tex]

Last edited:
That's about where I stopped too... heh

daveed said:
That's about where I stopped too... heh
If you multiply those brackets out, is there not a clear reversing of the product rule that comes out - my brain's in Friday meltdown... :tongue:

Saying that the d.e. is "homogeneous of degree n" means that if you replace both x and y by [itex]\lambda x[/itex] and [itex]\lambda y[/itex] the only effect is to multiply the equation by [itex]\lambda^n[/itex]. That, itself, means that you can write the equation completely in terms of [itex]\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)^n[/itex] or that M(x,y) and N(x,y) involve only terms of the form [itex]x^iy^j[/itex] where i+ j= n.

It's been a few days, and I still haven't made much headway on this. Our teacher gave us a hint, which was that we need to get it into the form
[tex](NM_x - MN_x)x + (NM_y - MN_y)y[/tex]

Which I can see equalling 0, by the definition given by HallsofIvy above, because
[tex]N(xM_x + yM_y) - M(xM_x + yN_y) = nNM - nNM = 0[/tex]

Though, I'm at a loss as to how to get to that form...

Last edited:

What is a homogeneous equation of degree n?

A homogeneous equation of degree n is an equation in which all terms have the same degree, which is equal to n. This means that all variables in the equation have an exponent of n.

What is an integration factor?

An integration factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of an equation to make the equation easier to integrate. It is typically used for solving differential equations.

Why is it important to show the integration factor of a homogeneous equation of degree n?

Showing the integration factor of a homogeneous equation of degree n is important because it enables us to solve the equation using the method of separation of variables. This method is commonly used to solve differential equations and can help us find the general solution to the equation.

How do you determine the integration factor for a homogeneous equation of degree n?

The integration factor for a homogeneous equation of degree n can be determined by dividing the coefficient of the highest-order term by the entire equation. This will result in a function that can be used as the integration factor.

Can the integration factor of a homogeneous equation of degree n be used for other types of equations?

Yes, the integration factor for a homogeneous equation of degree n can also be used for other types of equations, as long as they have the same degree. However, it is important to note that this method is specifically designed for solving homogeneous equations of degree n.