1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing nonsingular matrix has a unique solution

1. Jan 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It states that for any linear system with a nonsingular matrix of coefficients has solution and its solution is unique.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wanted to put an diagram of an arbitrary nxn matrix showing it has unique solution but I'm not sure how to represent a nxn matrix in echelon form?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2
    correct...The problem says (i think which you are trying to prove) that it has a solution and the solution is unique. So you know that the matrix of the arbitrary nxn matrix will have a pivot and ever row and column. To represent that use the given that it is a linear system with nonsingular matrix of coefficients. I've never seen the description as "non singular" before but I assume it relates to the fact that the matrix will be isomorphic to r^n

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3
    Oh ok. I assume its OK to use explain it using the assumption the matrix is nonsingular(means it has at one solu ion).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook