Showing that the following are equivalent

• Thread starter SithsNGiggles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, The conversation is about reducing a problem to show that ||x||^2 = (2/3)|x_1|^2 + (1/6)|x_1 - √3x_2|^2 + (1/6)|x_1 + √3x_2|^2, where x is a vector in ℝ^2. The person asks if there is any way to simplify this further, to which the other person responds that it is just basic algebra and that the sign of x_1 and x_2 does not matter.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

I had this posted under a different question a while back and didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd rephrase it. I've reduced it to what I think I'm supposed to show. (Here's the old post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4260206#post4260206 ... Disregard the actual coefficients, I fudged those a bit.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to show the following:
##||x||^2 = \frac{2}{3}|x_1|^2+\frac{1}{6}|x_1-\sqrt3x_2|^2+\frac{1}{6}|x_1+\sqrt3x_2|^2##

##x\in\mathbb{R}^2##, so ##x=(x_1,x_2)##, and the left side can be rewritten so that I have
##|x_1|^2+|x_2|^2 = \frac{2}{3}|x_1|^2+\frac{1}{6}|x_1-\sqrt3x_2|^2+\frac{1}{6}|x_1+\sqrt3x_2|^2##

Is there any way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
SithsNGiggles said:

Homework Statement

I had this posted under a different question a while back and didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd rephrase it. I've reduced it to what I think I'm supposed to show. (Here's the old post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4260206#post4260206 ... Disregard the actual coefficients, I fudged those a bit.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to show the following:
##||x||^2 = \frac{2}{3}|x_1|^2+\frac{1}{6}|x_1-\sqrt3x_2|^2+\frac{1}{6}|x_1+\sqrt3x_2|^2##

##x\in\mathbb{R}^2##, so ##x=(x_1,x_2)##, and the left side can be rewritten so that I have
##|x_1|^2+|x_2|^2 = \frac{2}{3}|x_1|^2+\frac{1}{6}|x_1-\sqrt3x_2|^2+\frac{1}{6}|x_1+\sqrt3x_2|^2##

Is there any way to do this?
|a + b|2 = (a + b)2

The rest is pretty basic algebra.

Merely expand the right hand side & collect terms.

SammyS said:
|a + b|2 = (a + b)2

The rest is pretty basic algebra.

Merely expand the right hand side & collect terms.

Is it really that simple? I was getting the impression I couldn't do that. I thought for some reason that the sign of x1 or x2 would make a difference. Thanks a lot!

SithsNGiggles said:
Is it really that simple? I was getting the impression I couldn't do that. I thought for some reason that the sign of x1 or x2 would make a difference. Thanks a lot!
If a+b ≥ 0 , then it's pretty obvious that |a+b|2 = (a+b)2 , since |a+b| = a+b .

If a+b < 0 , then |a+b| = -(a+b), so that |a+b|2 = (-(a+b))2. But that's obviously equal to (a+b)2.

Oh I see it now, thanks! I was thinking that the sign of x1 and x2 would have some effect on the sum. Thanks again.

1. What does it mean to show that two statements are equivalent?

Showing that two statements are equivalent means demonstrating that they have the same meaning or truth value. This can be done through logical reasoning, mathematical proofs, or empirical evidence.

2. How can I prove that two statements are equivalent?

Proving equivalence typically involves breaking down the two statements and showing that they have the same logical structure. This can be done by using logical equivalences, mathematical operations, or by showing that they both lead to the same conclusion.

3. What are the benefits of demonstrating equivalence between two statements?

Demonstrating equivalence can help to simplify complex statements, provide a deeper understanding of the concepts involved, and allow for easier comparison and analysis. It can also help to identify errors or inconsistencies in logic or reasoning.

4. Is there a standard method for proving equivalence?

There is no one standard method for proving equivalence, as it depends on the specific statements being compared. However, there are various techniques and tools, such as mathematical proofs, truth tables, and logical equivalences, that can be used to show equivalence.

5. Can two statements be equivalent but still have different forms?

Yes, two statements can be equivalent but have different forms. For example, the statements "All angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees" and "The sum of the interior angles of a triangle is 180 degrees" are equivalent, but have different structures and phrasing.