Calculating Synodic Period using Sidereal Period: Is there a Reliable Formula?

• Thread starter University
  • Start date
In summary, a formula for calculating the synodic period using a planet's sidereal period and the Earth's sidereal year exists, but the value of 33.3 days given in the conversation is not correct. The correct value would be around 36.7 days. However, another value of 31.25 days was also mentioned, but it is not clear how it was calculated.
University
Is there any formula to calculate Synodic period using for example the Moon's Sidereal period

Lets say moon sidereal period is 29 days what would be its synodic period?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
University said:
Is there any formula to calculate Synodic period using for example the Moon's Sidereal period

Lets say moon sidereal period is 29 days what would be its synodic period?

You need to use the period of the Earth's sidereal year and the equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{synodic_{moon}} = \frac{1}{sidereal_{moon}}- \frac{1}{sidereal_{Earth}}[/tex]

Does 33.3 days sound right?

University said:
Does 33.3 days sound right?

No.

First, it is not the answer you would get if you use 29 days for the Moon's sidereal period, and secondly 29 days is not the Moon's sidereal period (neither is the value you apparently used, if you did the equation right).

Thanks for all the hints and help but the exact problem in the text states:

If the sidereal period of the moon is 29.0 days(instead of the correct 27.32 days) what would be its synodic period?

HINT: consider how far around the sun the Earth & Moon would have traveled in 29.0 days

University said:
Thanks for all the hints and help but the exact problem in the text states:

If the sidereal period of the moon is 29.0 days(instead of the correct 27.32 days) what would be its synodic period?

HINT: consider how far around the sun the Earth & Moon would have traveled in 29.0 days

Like I said in my last post, 33.3 days is still not correct if you use a value of 29 days for the sidereal period. How did you arrive at that value?

I use the equation u posted

1/Synodic period = 1/Moon sidereal Period - 1/earth's sidereal period
= 1/29 -1/365

33.3 days is not the answer I get when using those numbers in the equation.

E = Earth sidereal year
P = Other planet sidereal year
Then sp = 1/(1/E-1/P)

using this eq I get 36.7 days. Is this correct?

Last edited:
University said:
E = Earth sidereal year
P = Other planet sidereal year
Then sp = 1/(1/E-1/P)

using this eq I get 36.7 days. Is this correct?

No. I don't understand how you are coming up with these answers with the numbers you are using and the equation given.

I got 0.032 days but this does not seem to be a reasonable value. Besides the equation is 1/synodic period, so I was assuming 1/0.032 =31.25 days

Related to Calculating Synodic Period using Sidereal Period: Is there a Reliable Formula?

What is a sidereal period?

A sidereal period is the amount of time it takes for an object, such as a planet or moon, to make one full orbit around its parent object, measured with respect to the stars. It is often used in astronomy as a more accurate measure of an object's orbital period.

What is a synodic period?

A synodic period is the amount of time it takes for an object to return to the same relative position with respect to the sun and Earth. This is often used to measure the time between similar phases of celestial bodies, such as the time between full moons or between conjunctions of planets.

What is the difference between a sidereal and synodic period?

The main difference between these two periods is the reference point used to measure them. A sidereal period is measured with respect to the stars, while a synodic period is measured with respect to the sun and Earth. This means that a sidereal period is slightly longer than a synodic period, as the Earth is also moving in its orbit around the sun.

Why are sidereal and synodic periods important?

These periods are important in understanding the motions of celestial bodies and predicting astronomical events. For example, knowing the synodic period of the moon allows us to predict when the next full moon will occur. Sidereal periods are also used in calculating the length of a year on different planets.

How do scientists calculate sidereal and synodic periods?

Scientists use a variety of methods to calculate sidereal and synodic periods, including observations using telescopes and satellites, as well as mathematical models and simulations. These calculations can be complex and require precise measurements of an object's position and motion in relation to other celestial bodies.