Sigma Notation Help: Writing 5, 10, 17, 26

• Thread starter 123mathguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sigma
In summary, sigma notation is a concise and organized way to represent a series of numbers using the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to indicate a sum. To write a series in sigma notation, an expression or pattern for the numbers being added is used. The purpose of using sigma notation is to simplify and condense the representation of a series, making it easier to calculate and understand the underlying formula. The upper and lower limits of the series are indicated by the numbers above and below the sigma symbol, respectively. Variables can also be used in sigma notation, allowing for more flexibility in the expression being summed.
123mathguy

Homework Statement

i need help writing in sigma notaion
the numbers are 5,10,17,26

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, the numbers are 5, 10, 17, and 27! What do you want to do with them? Since you mentions "sigma notation" I might guess adding but what exactly is your question?

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, the numbers are 5, 10, 17, and 27! What do you want to do with them? Since you mentions "sigma notation" I might guess adding but what exactly is your question?

Yeah little mistype there, the last number is 26 :P.

Anyways, here's an advice, find the difference between the numbers, any relation?

What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a way to represent a series of numbers in a concise and organized manner. It uses the Greek letter sigma (Σ) to indicate a sum, followed by the expression or pattern for the numbers being added.

How do I write 5, 10, 17, 26 in sigma notation?

The expression for this series would be written as Σ(n^2 + 1) where n ranges from 1 to 4. This means that each number in the series is squared and then added to 1.

What is the purpose of using sigma notation?

Sigma notation is used to simplify and condense the representation of a series of numbers. It makes it easier to perform calculations and understand the pattern or formula behind the numbers.

How do I know the upper and lower limits of the series in sigma notation?

The lower limit of the series is indicated by the number below the sigma symbol and the upper limit is indicated above the sigma symbol. In the example of 5, 10, 17, 26, the lower limit is 1 and the upper limit is 4.

Can I use variables in sigma notation?

Yes, variables can be used in sigma notation. The expression inside the parentheses can include any mathematical operation or formula using the variable.