1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign function property proof

Tags:
  1. Jun 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The signum function is defined by$$sgn(t)=\left\{\begin{matrix}-1, \ t<0\\0, \ t=0 \\ 1, \ t>0 \end{matrix}\right.$$It has derivative$$\frac{d}{dt} sign(t) = 2 \delta(t)$$Use this result to show that ##j2\pi \nu S(\nu)=2,## and give an argument why ##S(0)=0.## Where ##S(\nu)## denotes the Fourier transform of the signum function

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the Fourier transform of the sign function is:$$S(\nu)=\frac{1}{j\pi \nu}.$$
    If we substitute this into ##j2\pi \nu S(\nu),## we get ##2## as expected. But the question wants us to show this result without deriving an expression for the Fourier transform of ##sgn(t).## How can we do this?

Furthermore, if we substitute ##0## in ##S(\nu)## we get ##S(0)=1/j\pi (0) = \infty.## So what does the question mean by giving an argument that ##S(0)=0##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

If the F.T. of ## f(t) ## is ## F(\nu) ##, isn't F.T. ## f'(t)=j \nu F(\nu) ## ? (with possibly a factor of ## 2\pi ## depending on your definition of F.T. and your frequency variable.) And you can readily compute the F.T. of the delta function..I don't have a good answer for the S(0)=0 yet...editing...For S(0), it appears the function ## S(\nu) ## goes symmetrically from minus infinity to plus infinity near ## \nu=0 ##...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  4. Jun 16, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Don't trust a given formula for S(v) here. You can derive S(0) yourself, and the result should be zero.

5. Jun 16, 2016 #4
    How would you derive ##S(0)##? Did you use the sifting property ##S(0)=\int^\infty_{-\infty} \delta (t) \frac{1}{j \pi \nu} d\nu## or some other method?

6. Jun 16, 2016 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Why not use ## S(\nu)=\int sgn(t)exp(-i 2\pi \nu t) dt ## and set ## \nu=0 ##. The function is odd so the integral is 0. See also my post #2.

7. Jun 16, 2016 #6
    So using the property ##\frac{d f(t)}{dt} \leftrightarrow j 2 \pi \nu F(\nu),## we will have:

$$2 \delta (t) = j 2 \pi \nu S(\nu).$$

But according to the question this should be equal to just ##2.## How do I make the Dirac delta disappear?

8. Jun 16, 2016 #7

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Simple: ## 2\pi j \nu S(\nu)=F.T.( 2 \delta(t)) ##. The F.T. of the delta function is 1.

9. Jun 16, 2016 #8
    Thank you, that makes perfect sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted