Sign of the Thevenin resistance equation

In summary: Rth = Vo / Io In summary, The conversation discusses the process of finding Rth for a circuit with dependent sources, using the equation Rth = Vo / Io with a plus sign. The Passive Sign Convention is used, but the resulting answer is incorrect. The author of the book defines the direction of Io in the opposite direction, leading to a positive answer. It is noted that the direction of the current is arbitrary and does not affect the equivalent resistance of the circuit.
Jonas E
Here is my problem: when trying to find Rth for a circuit with dependent sources, I excite the circuit a voltage Vo, and then proceed to find the resulting current Io. Finally, I use the equation Rth = Vo / Io, with a plus (+) sign. The way I see it, Io enters the positive side of Vo, so the Passive Sign Convention holds. However this gives me the negative of the correct answer. In my book the author defines Io in the opposite direction (away from the positive side of Vo), and then uses Rth = Vo / Io, with a plus sign.

Can someone please point out the mistake in my reasoning and explain the relationship between the sign of the expression above and direction of the current Io?

Image of the circuit below:

Circuit.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not given sufficient information. The current could be flowing in either direction depending on the rest of the circuit. What sign you give it when solving the problem is totally arbitrary and irrelevant. If you have signed it the "wrong" way you'll just get a negative answer.

Note that you're looking to find the equivalent resistance of the circuit, not the source. So by definition this is determined by the current that flows into the circuit from the applied source:

Fig1.gif

1. What is the Thevenin resistance equation?

The Thevenin resistance equation is a formula that is used to calculate the equivalent resistance of a network or circuit when viewed from two terminals. It is named after French physicist Leon Charles Thevenin and is commonly used in circuit analysis and design.

2. How is the Thevenin resistance equation derived?

The Thevenin resistance equation is derived by treating the network as a black box and determining the equivalent resistance between the two terminals. This involves finding the open circuit voltage and short circuit current of the network and using them in the equation: Rth = Voc/Isc, where Rth is the Thevenin resistance, Voc is the open circuit voltage, and Isc is the short circuit current.

3. What is the significance of the Thevenin resistance equation?

The Thevenin resistance equation is significant because it simplifies complex networks into a single equivalent resistance. This allows for easier analysis and design of circuits, as well as predicting the behavior of a network under different conditions.

4. When is the Thevenin resistance equation most commonly used?

The Thevenin resistance equation is most commonly used in electronic and electrical engineering, particularly in the design and analysis of circuits. It is also used in telecommunications, where it is used to determine the maximum power transfer between a source and a load.

5. Are there any limitations to the Thevenin resistance equation?

Yes, there are limitations to the Thevenin resistance equation. It assumes that the network is linear, meaning that the voltage-current relationship remains constant regardless of the voltage or current. It also assumes that the network is time-invariant, meaning that the components do not change over time. If these assumptions are not met, the Thevenin resistance equation may not accurately predict the behavior of the network.