1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign of the Thevenin resistance equation

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    Here is my problem: when trying to find Rth for a circuit with dependent sources, I excite the circuit a voltage Vo, and then proceed to find the resulting current Io. Finally, I use the equation Rth = Vo / Io, with a plus (+) sign. The way I see it, Io enters the positive side of Vo, so the Passive Sign Convention holds. However this gives me the negative of the correct answer. In my book the author defines Io in the opposite direction (away from the positive side of Vo), and then uses Rth = Vo / Io, with a plus sign.

Can someone please point out the mistake in my reasoning and explain the relationship between the sign of the expression above and direction of the current Io?

Image of the circuit below:

Circuit.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have not given sufficient information. The current could be flowing in either direction depending on the rest of the circuit. What sign you give it when solving the problem is totally arbitrary and irrelevant. If you have signed it the "wrong" way you'll just get a negative answer.

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Note that you're looking to find the equivalent resistance of the circuit, not the source. So by definition this is determined by the current that flows into the circuit from the applied source:

Fig1.gif

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted