1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signal excited by square wave

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

11. What kind of frequency components can be observed in the output if a linear system is excited by a symmetric square wave?

12. What kind of frequency components can be observed in the output if a non-linear system is excited by a symmetric square wave?

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, all I was given to answer this problem was the following wikipedia page about Fourier transforms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform. I still feel that I am not sufficiently informed to answer these questions.

I have a test about this in an hour so I please hope somebody can help me out. Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, what is the frequency spectrum of a symmetric square wave? What harmonics are present, and how do they fall off with frequency?

When you have a linear system, what does that mean in terms of how it can affect the fundamental and the harmonic components?

And if you have a non-linear system (think of a diode in the circuit), what can you say about what can happen to the fundamental and the harmonics, in terms of amplitude and frequency effects?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook