Signal Rectifier Circuit -- clarification questions from The Art of Electroics

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit involving a signal rectifier and two different configurations. The first circuit uses a capacitor and resistor to differentiate the signal, while the second circuit improves upon this by allowing any signal above 0V to pass. The purpose of R2 is to provide an output impedance for the circuit. The discussion also covers the biasing of the diode in the second circuit and the importance of keeping the two diodes thermally coupled for accuracy. The conversation concludes with a user thanking the group for their help in understanding the circuit.
pierce15
upload_2016-12-13_20-15-29.png

I am studying The Art of Electronics and am confused about this particular part about a signal rectifier. In the first picture above, the first cap and resistor function differentiate the signal, and the signal passes the diode if the voltage is > .6V. The second circuit improves this by allowing any signal of above 0 V to pass.

I am confused about two things. First, why is R2 necessary? It seems like we could just measure the voltage coming out of the LED without the resistor there... Also, I do not understand how circuit 2 makes it so any signal > 0 V will pass. Can someone explain these two things?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In fig (1) the diode's anode sits at 0V DC so to forward bias it requires that the signal supply at least 0.5V.

In fig (2) the resistor network biases the diode at approx. 0.5V so then any rise/fall brought in by the coupling capacitor is superimposed on this DC bias.

R2 is the output impedance of the circuit. Without R2 the output voltage could never fall.

OK i now see that the right side of the circuit needs to be completed but it cannot just be grounded because then the output voltage would always be 0V, hence the resistor to ground. I still don't understand how the part below the R1 in circuit 2 is biasing D1, however. I understand that it would be biased if there were a .6 V battery in front of D2 in circuit 1. However I don't understand how the new setup is achieving that.

Current flows down through R3, then to ground through D1 which sets the anode voltage of D1 at about 0.6V.
That makes a voltage reference of one forward biassed diode voltage drop.
R1 then biasses the point in front of D2 from that 0.6V reference voltage.

For accuracy keep the two diodes thermally coupled. You will get some self heating due to the bias current on D1. Higher frequencies or voltages may require buffering of the reference.

BoB

Alright I figured it out. The only way I am able to see how the bias effect works is by writing out the math. Let V be the voltage right after the cap and I the current through the cap. Then ## I = -C \frac{d}{dt} (V - V_{in}) ##. Ignoring the load of D2 and R2 for now, the cap and R1 are in series, so the current through the resistor is the same as the current through the cap and it is ## (V - .6)/R_1##. Hence ## V = RC \frac{dV_{in}}{dt} + .6##, since ##\frac{dV}{dt}## is small by hypothesis. Adding the load, the signal ## \frac{dV_{in}}{dt} ## will pass if it is ## \ge 0##.

Wow thanks for this, was just wondering the exact same thing

Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
You are welcome.
That is what PF is here for.

Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman

1. What is a signal rectifier circuit?

A signal rectifier circuit is an electronic circuit that converts an alternating current (AC) signal into a direct current (DC) signal. It is commonly used in electronic devices to convert the AC signal from a power source into a usable DC signal.

2. How does a signal rectifier circuit work?

A signal rectifier circuit typically uses diodes to convert AC to DC. When the AC signal is positive, the diode conducts and allows the current to flow through, but when the AC signal is negative, the diode blocks the current. This creates a pulsating DC signal, which is then smoothed out by a capacitor to produce a steady DC output.

3. What are the different types of signal rectifier circuits?

The two main types of signal rectifier circuits are half-wave and full-wave rectifiers. Half-wave rectifiers use a single diode to convert only the positive half of an AC signal, while full-wave rectifiers use multiple diodes to convert both the positive and negative halves of the AC signal.

4. What is the purpose of a signal rectifier circuit?

The main purpose of a signal rectifier circuit is to convert an AC signal to a DC signal. This allows electronic devices to operate using a steady DC power source, rather than relying on the fluctuating AC power from a wall outlet. It also helps to filter out any unwanted noise or interference from the AC signal.

5. What are some common applications of signal rectifier circuits?

Signal rectifier circuits are commonly used in power supplies for electronic devices, such as laptops, TVs, and smartphones. They are also used in audio amplifiers, radio receivers, and other electronic equipment that needs a steady DC power source.