What are the Best Books for Studying Signals and Systems?

In summary, the conversation is about a request for book recommendations for a Signals and Systems course. The books mentioned are Schaum's outline, Signals and Systems by Oppenheim, Linear Systems and Signals by Lathi, and Transforms in Signals and Systems by Kraniauskas. The person asking for recommendations is interested in the mathematical rigor and thoroughness of the books, the amount of text and explanations, the number of examples and diverse problems, and their applications. One person has used Oppenheim's book in their first Signals and Systems course and found it to be helpful, especially with the abundance of problems. They also mention that the course may be challenging but with more courses, one can develop a better intuition.
Log
Hi all,

I will be studying Signals and Systems later this year and it would be great if you could recommend me some books, tell me why you prefer them over others and describe them a little. The contents of the course will be both time-continous and time-discrete signals, sampling, Z, Fourier and Laplace. As well as poles, zeros, filters and LTI systems.

Some books I've been looking at:
(some have been recommended here in other threads)

Schaum's outline
Signals and Systems by Oppenheim
Linear Systems and Signals by Lathi
Transforms in Signals and Systems by Kraniauskas

About the books you suggest:

Are they mathematically rigorous and thorough?
Do they have much text and explanations or the other way around?
Many examples?
Diverse problems?
Applications?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have used Oppenheim in my first signals and systems course. I would say it wasn't too bad. I esp. liked the problems (it contains tonnes of them). First course in signals and systems is somewhat challenging so it would take some effort to get through the book on your own. But more courses you take better intuition you will develop.

Have fun with the course!

1. What is the purpose of a Signals and Systems textbook?

A Signals and Systems textbook is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of signals and systems analysis. It covers topics such as signal classification, time and frequency domain analysis, and system properties. It is used to provide a foundation for understanding more complex systems in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

2. What are some common applications of signals and systems?

Signals and systems have a wide range of applications in various fields. Some common examples include audio and image processing, communication systems, control systems, and biomedical signal analysis. Signals and systems can also be used in fields such as economics, social sciences, and music theory.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying Signals and Systems?

To fully understand signals and systems, it is recommended to have a background in mathematics, specifically in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. A basic understanding of physics and programming can also be helpful in understanding the applications of signals and systems.

4. How is a Signals and Systems textbook different from other math or science textbooks?

A Signals and Systems textbook is unique in that it combines elements of both mathematics and engineering. It uses mathematical tools and concepts to analyze and understand real-world systems. Unlike other math or science textbooks, it focuses on the analysis of signals and systems rather than specific applications.

5. How can I use a Signals and Systems textbook to improve my problem-solving skills?

Studying a Signals and Systems textbook can improve problem-solving skills by introducing students to different methods and techniques for analyzing and understanding complex systems. It also encourages critical thinking and the application of mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios. Regular practice of problems and exercises in the textbook can also help improve problem-solving skills.