Significant Digits: Questions & Answers

In summary, when working with significant digits, it's important to follow certain rules. Zeros in front of a number are not significant, but zeros between other non-zero digits are. Zeros at the end only count if there is a decimal point. In terms of scientific notation, the number of significant digits is determined by the power of 10. When dividing or multiplying, the answer should have the same number of significant digits as the number with the least amount of significant digits.
xCanx
I just started physics and have a few questions on significant digits.

I have to put this number into scientific notation

2 999 900

My answer is 2.3 * 10 (to the power of 6)
Is that right?

My other question is 8.83/0.002 = "4415"
To write it with sig digits I can only use one because of "0.002"

So would my answer be 4000?

And my last question is 8.56 * 2.3= "19.688"
With sig. digits = 20

Are these correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first case, your answer is not quite correct with 2 significant digits. The number you had though, has at least 5 significant digits. The zeros are generally not counted unless there is a trailing decimal placed. Note that 2.9999 doesn't round off to 2.3

Also, on your last problem, it would be better to put a decimal into show that the 0 is significant.

The last significant digit shows where any uncertainty lies - i.e. 245.8 might actually be 245.9 or maybe 245.7. If you measured a quantity, and were fairly certain to within 100 feet and had a measurement of 3,000,000 feet, how could you show where the uncertainty lies? That's another good purpose of scientific notation. You could write the number as 3.0000 x 10^8 feet.

Easiest rules on sci notation:
Any digits that aren't a zero always count.
zeros in front don't count.
zeros between other non-zero digits always count.
zeros at the end only count if there's a decimal.

You need to state to how many significant digits you are using. Say, "to 2 significant digits".

If it were the case that you need two significant digits, then 2 999 900 in scientific notation would become 3.0*10^6 (the ^ means 'to the power')

My other question is 8.83/0.002 = "4415"
To write it with sig digits I can only use one because of "0.002"

So would my answer be 4000?

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

And my last question is 8.56 * 2.3= "19.688"
With sig. digits = 20

Again you have to state to how many significant figures you are working with.

qspeechc said:
You need to state to how many significant digits you are using. Say, "to 2 significant digits".

If it were the case that you need two significant digits, then 2 999 900 in scientific notation would become 3.0*10^6 (the ^ means 'to the power')

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Again you have to state to how many significant figures you are working with.

It's just multiplying and dividing (in physics) with significant digits.

In the second one

8.83/0.002 = "4415"

4415 isn't the answer because it has to have only 1 significant digit because 0.002 has only one significant digit. So I put 4000 as my answer because it only has one significant digit.

Related to Significant Digits: Questions & Answers

What are significant digits?

Significant digits, also known as significant figures, are the digits in a number that carry meaning or contribute to the precision of the number. They are the non-zero digits and any zeros between them.

How do I determine the number of significant digits in a number?

To determine the number of significant digits in a number, start counting from the first non-zero digit on the left and continue counting until the last non-zero digit on the right. All digits in between are considered significant.

What is the rule for rounding off numbers with significant digits?

The rule for rounding off numbers with significant digits is to start with the first non-significant digit and round it up if it is 5 or greater, and leave it unchanged if it is less than 5. If the digit to the right of the last significant digit is 5 or greater, the last significant digit should be rounded up by one.

How do significant digits affect mathematical operations?

In mathematical operations, the result should be rounded off to the same number of significant digits as the measurement with the least number of significant digits. For addition and subtraction, the result should have the same number of decimal places as the measurement with the least number of decimal places.

Why are significant digits important in scientific calculations?

Significant digits are important in scientific calculations because they represent the precision of the measured values and help maintain accuracy in calculations. By following the appropriate rules for significant digits, scientists can ensure that their results are as precise and accurate as possible.