Solving Significant Figures Dilemma: James' Question

• Thread starter James_fl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, when multiplying measured quantities, the final answer should use the least number of significant digits provided in the question. In this case, the answer is 13.6m, and the number 10 has only 1 significant digit. It is generally a good practice in physics to round the answer to the appropriate number of digits, even if it means less precision.
James_fl
Hi, I have a question regarding significant figure.

One rule when multiplying measured quantity is that the final answer needs to use the least number of significant digits provided in the question.

Now.. if v = 17 m /s and t= 0.8 s. What is d?

d = v * t
d = 17 m / s * 0.8 s
d = 13.6 m

Now, v has two significant digits. But what about t? Can we consider t to have two significant digits instead of one?

So, should I leave the answer the way it is (3 significant digits), round it up to 14 m (2 significant digits), or round it down to 10 m (could be considered as 1 or 2 significant digits)?

My dillema is if t is considered as having 1 significant digit and I do need to round the answer down to 10 m, wouldn't it be much less precise than 13.6? Why should I make it less precise, wouldn't a more precise answer better than the unprecise one?

Also, if I do need to round it down to 10 m, how should I write down my final answer? Just plain 10 m or 1*10^1 m ?

Thanks very much,

James

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, 10 has 2 significant digits. In fact, any zeroes on the right of the number is significant. e.g. 1.2000 has 6 significant digits. (This is used to show how accurate the number is)

I see a problem there, the final answer uses the most number of significant digits. This makes a lot more sense and helps solve dilemmas like this.

The answer you want is 14m in this case. (although in real life, 13.6m is the appropriate answer)

Side note: the scientific notation for powers of ten, such as the number 10, is indeed 1*10^1. And similarly 100 is 1*10^2.

P.S. This 'significant figures' thing is only taught in Regents science classes. Many people would give their answers in the least power of ten used (by this I mean hundreds, tens, ones, tenths, and so forth) like in your equation, the lowest power is the tenths power, so your answer would be in the tenths as well, 13.6m. But do what feels right. You would say that .2 * .2 is .04, right? you wouldn't round it to the nearest tenth.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, livingod! I agree that zeroes at the end of a measurement are significant if it's in scientific notation. My textbook describes:

"Scientific notation is used to indicate if zeroes at the end of a measurement are significant: 4.50 x 10^7 has three significant digits and 4.500 x 10^7 has four significant digits. The same number written as 45 000 000 km has AT LEAST two significant digits, but the total number is unknown unless the measurement is written in scientific notation."

According to that passage, the number 10 has at least 1 significant digit. And it could have two significant digits. Also, what about the 0.8? Does it only have one significant digit?

Last edited:
Livingod said:
First of all, 10 has 2 significant digits. In fact, any zeroes on the right of the number is significant. e.g. 1.2000 has 6 significant digits. (This is used to show how accurate the number is)

I see a problem there, the final answer uses the most number of significant digits. This makes a lot more sense and helps solve dilemmas like this.

The answer you want is 14m in this case. (although in real life, 13.6m is the appropriate answer)

Side note: the scientific notation for powers of ten, such as the number 10, is indeed 1*10^1. And similarly 100 is 1*10^2.

P.S. This 'significant figures' thing is only taught in Regents science classes. Many people would give their answers in the least power of ten used (by this I mean hundreds, tens, ones, tenths, and so forth) like in your equation, the lowest power is the tenths power, so your answer would be in the tenths as well, 13.6m. But do what feels right. You would say that .2 * .2 is .04, right? you wouldn't round it to the nearest tenth.

10 does NOT have two significant figures.

it would have to be "10." with a decimal point.

andrew: do you think i should have "10." as the answer? Also, generally in physics, is it a good practise to always round the answer to the appropriate number of digits (although less precise)? Or is it better to have a more precise answer?

Last edited:
17 * 0.8 = 10

Related to Solving Significant Figures Dilemma: James' Question

1. How do I know which numbers are significant figures?

Significant figures are any non-zero digits in a number, as well as zeros between non-zero digits, and any zeros at the end of a decimal number. For example, in the number 105.00, all of the digits are significant figures.

2. How do I round a number to the correct number of significant figures?

To round a number to the correct number of significant figures, start by identifying the least precise measurement in the number. Then, look at the digit to the right of it. If the digit is 5 or higher, round the least precise measurement up. If the digit is 4 or lower, leave the least precise measurement as is. Finally, remove all digits to the right of the least precise measurement.

3. What is the purpose of using significant figures in scientific calculations?

Significant figures help to indicate the precision of a measurement. By using the correct number of significant figures, we can avoid overestimating or underestimating the precision of a calculated result.

4. How do I handle significant figures in multiplication and division?

When multiplying or dividing numbers, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the fewest significant figures. For example, if you are multiplying 5.12 by 2.3, the result should have two significant figures, since 2.3 has two significant figures.

5. Can I use estimation to determine significant figures?

Yes, estimation can be a helpful tool in determining the number of significant figures in a number. By rounding the number to the nearest power of 10, you can quickly identify the significant figures. For example, if you have the number 0.00351, rounding it to the nearest power of 10 (0.01) shows that there are three significant figures.