1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significant figures in seconds to hours calculation

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    SOLVED: Significant figures in seconds to hours calculation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not exactly a problem, but if I have minutes/seconds and am changing to hours, how many significant figures are there? For example: 29 minutes 57 seconds =0.499166667 hours needs ? significant figures.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, a second to 1/3600 hours. Therefore, I think I might want to measure to a precision of one ten-thousandth of an hour, or possibly 1/1000 hours. I'm not sure which. I know that the minutes doesn't affect the calculation, and I know that the unit conversion is considered to have infinite sig figs.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The implication is that the original value is accurate to +/- 1 second. If the converted value is to have a similar level of precision, and 1s = 0.00028 hr, then it looks like you'll want four decimal places and the last place will be taken as +/- 3.

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    Thanks!

5. Nov 17, 2011 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree the value is accurate to the nearest 1 second, but would approach it differently. If you convert the 29 minutes 57 seconds to seconds, that's 60·29+57 seconds or 1767 seconds. That's 4 significant figures -- which for this problem (0.4991... hours) means to the 4th decimal place in agreement with what gneill said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook