What Is the Initial Velocity of the Particle in This Collision Problem?

• Thread starter ddphuyal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two particles with the same rest mass. After the collision, the original particles disappear and two other particles with rest mass m' are observed to leave at equal angles. The speed of the original moving particle can be determined by using the formula for relativistic momentum.
ddphuyal
A particle with rest mass m and momentum mc/2 collides with a particle of the same
rest mass that is initially at rest. After the collision, the original two particles have
disappeared. Two other particles, each with rest mass m', are observed to leave the region
of the collision at equal angles of 30° with respect to the direction of the original moving
particle, as shown below.

a) What is the speed of the original moving particle?
here is what i have

1. mc/2 = m'v1 cos(30) + m'v2 cos(30) - for momentum conserved in x direction
2. 0 = m'v1 sin(30) - m'v2 sin(30) - for momentum conserved in y direction

and since this is an elastic collision, Kinetic Energy is also conserved

3. 1/2mVi^2 = 1/2m'v1^2 + 1/2 m'v2^2

from equation 2, i get v1 = v2. i plus this into equation 1, and get v2 = mc/(2*sqrt(3)*m')
thus giving me initial velocity from 3 to be

mVi^2 = m'(v1^2 + v2^2) => substitute from above for v2, and for v1, since v1 = v2
mVi^2 = m'(2m^2c^2/12m'^2)
Vi^2 = mc^2/((sqrt(6)m')...anywho, the answer for Vi in the answer book of this practice test is c/sqrt(5)...please shed some light on this. I've tried and tried, and thus i seek help. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ddphuyal,

The overall problem with your solution is that you're not treating the problem relativisitically. The formula for the momentum components that you are using [itex]p=mv[/itex] does not apply here. (If it was true for this problem, since you know the initial particle has a momentum of mc/2, you could say the speed was just c/2.)

What is the formula for relativistic momentum? Once you have that, you will be able to determine the initial speed.

I would approach this problem by first acknowledging that it is not a "silly" momentum problem, but rather a complex and challenging one that requires careful and precise calculations.

From your calculations, it appears that you have correctly set up the equations for momentum and kinetic energy conservation. However, there may be some errors in your calculations or assumptions that are leading to a different result from the answer book. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure that you are using the correct values for all variables.

Additionally, it may be helpful to approach the problem from a different perspective. For example, instead of solving for the initial velocity, you could try solving for the mass of the particles m' or using trigonometric identities to simplify the equations.

Overall, it is important to remember that in science, there is rarely one "correct" answer and it is important to thoroughly understand the concepts and apply them accurately to solve problems. Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and you will be able to tackle even the most challenging momentum problems.

1. What is a silly momentum problem?

A silly momentum problem is a term used to describe a physics problem that involves a humorous or unexpected scenario, often with absurd or unrealistic variables. It is meant to challenge the reader's understanding of basic physics principles in a fun and engaging way.

2. How is silly momentum different from regular momentum?

Silly momentum and regular momentum both involve the concept of an object's mass and velocity, but silly momentum problems are typically more light-hearted and may involve unusual or exaggerated scenarios. Regular momentum problems are more focused on real-world applications and calculations.

3. Is silly momentum a legitimate scientific concept?

No, silly momentum is not a recognized scientific term or concept. It is simply a creative way to present physics problems and engage students in learning about momentum.

4. Are there any benefits to using silly momentum problems in education?

Yes, silly momentum problems can make learning about physics more enjoyable and memorable for students. They may also help students to think critically and creatively as they solve the problems.

5. Can silly momentum problems be used for research purposes?

No, silly momentum problems are not typically used for research purposes. They are mainly used for educational purposes and are not considered a serious scientific concept.