Silly u-substitution mistake happening somewhere

• Thread starter Flammadeao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the problem is to integrate sin(2x) divided by 1+cos(x)^2 using a trigonometric identity. The attempt at a solution involved using u=1+cos(x)^2 and du=-2sin(x)dx, but this resulted in a cos(x) still remaining in the integral. The solution was to instead use u=cos^2(x) and du=-2sin(x)cos(x)dx.
Flammadeao

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{sin(2x)}{1+cos(x)^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I can use a trig identity to end up with a numerator of -- 2sin(x)cos(x)

So:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{2sin(x)cos(x)}{1+cos(x)^2}[/tex]

I am using u=1+cos(x)^2 and du=-2sin(x)dx

Substitute in and I end up with

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{-cos(x)}{u}[/tex]du

And that's where I hit a wall, because I still have a cos(x) in there. Anyone willing to offer hints on this one? Thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try [itex]u=cos^2(x)[/itex].

Oh man, that would make sense... Gah, thankyou :)

Flammadeao said:
I am using u=1+cos(x)^2 and du=-2sin(x)dx

If [itex]u=1+\cos^2(x)[/itex] then [itex]du \neq -2\sin(x)\;dx[/itex]

It would be [itex]du=-2\sin(x)\cos(x)\;dx[/itex]

--Elucidus

1. What is a "Silly u-substitution mistake"?

A "Silly u-substitution mistake" refers to an error made when using the u-substitution method in calculus. This method involves substituting a variable, u, for a part of an equation and then integrating with respect to u. A "Silly u-substitution mistake" occurs when the substitution is not done correctly, leading to incorrect integration and the wrong answer.

2. How does a "Silly u-substitution mistake" happen?

A "Silly u-substitution mistake" can happen due to a variety of reasons, such as using the wrong substitution, forgetting to adjust for the change in variables, or making a mistake in the algebraic manipulation. It is important to double-check all steps when using u-substitution to avoid making this error.

3. Can a "Silly u-substitution mistake" be fixed?

Yes, a "Silly u-substitution mistake" can be fixed by identifying the mistake and going back to correct it. It is also helpful to check the final answer with a calculator or by using a different integration method to ensure accuracy.

4. How can I avoid making a "Silly u-substitution mistake"?

To avoid making a "Silly u-substitution mistake", it is important to carefully choose the substitution and to be diligent in checking each step of the process. It may also be helpful to practice using u-substitution with various problems to become more familiar with the method.

5. Are there any common types of "Silly u-substitution mistakes"?

Yes, some common types of "Silly u-substitution mistakes" include forgetting to change the limits of integration, using the wrong substitution, and making a mistake in the algebraic manipulation. It is important to be aware of these common mistakes and to check for them when using u-substitution.