Similar book to Kleppner's Quick Caculus for linear algebra

In summary: No, but she covers everything else in other chapters. First few sections of chapter six cover useful information found in a LA text, as do chapters 10, 12 and 15.OK.
almarpa
So anyone of you know a book that provides a gentle and quick refresher for linear algera, in the spirit of the book "Quick Calculus" by Kleppner and Ramsey?

Now that I am studying quantum mechanics, I feel I need to review the linear algebra I studied during my engineering degree.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boas' book on mathematical methods. Sure, it covers a lot more than linear algebra, but what it covers of linear algebra is really well done.

micromass said:
Boas' book on mathematical methods. Sure, it covers a lot more than linear algebra, but what it covers of linear algebra is really well done.
That's probably the only chapter I would not read from that book though See here
almarpa said:
So anyone of you know a book that provides a gentle and quick refresher for linear algera, in the spirit of the book "Quick Calculus" by Kleppner and Ramsey?

Now that I am studying quantum mechanics, I feel I need to review the linear algebra I studied during my engineering degree.

Thanks.

Not sure about quick but the following are really good book to learn Linear Algebra from for application to QM.
1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3319110799/?tag=pfamazon01-20
2. https://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

Another short book on Linear Algebra that I really like is
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814723770/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The book is available for free here
https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~anne/linear_algebra/

And don't forget to check out this strange little book for Linear Algebra - although this should not be used as a main book , it has excellent insight that will make your concepts solid.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HLW5V9U/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The author has a fantastic linear algebra course that you can take for free on your own time
https://www.lem.ma/web/#/books/VBS92YDYuscc5-lK/landing

Last edited by a moderator:
smodak said:
That's probably the only chapter I would not read from that book though See here

I do not agree with that post. Boas' chapter is fine.

micromass said:
I do not agree with that post. Boas' chapter is fine.

Indeed, and she does mention vector spaces.

That said, I do recommend the OP to study somewhat formally vector spaces, inner product spaces, linear transformations and dual spaces. But the OP wanted a quick and gentle refresher of engineering linear algebra, so that's what I tried to answer.

Well, I actually need a refresher of linear algebra that goes quickly and straight to the point, starting from the very basics, and reaching to the concepts required for quantum mechanics. That is why I mentioned, as an example, Kleppner's book on calculus (brief, very good on explanations, and focused on the calculus needed to follow a typical course on classical mechanics).

The authors of some of the mentioned books claim they should be second books on the subject. I do not want that.

Regards.

Again Boas is fine for that.

OK.

Is Boas' chapter on LA enough to be able to follow Griffiths' quantum mechanics book?

Regards.

almarpa said:
OK.

Is Boas' chapter on LA enough to be able to follow Griffiths' quantum mechanics book?

Regards.

No, but she covers everything else in other chapters. First few sections of chapter six cover useful information found in a LA text, as do chapters 10, 12 and 15.

almarpa said:
OK.

Regards.

You could go through Boas' chapter on LA and then start Griffiths. Whenever you're stuck in Griffiths, you can then refer back to Boas and read the relevant parts of where you're stuck.

1. What is the difference between Kleppner's Quick Calculus and linear algebra?

Kleppner's Quick Calculus is a book that focuses on calculus, which is the mathematical study of change and motion, while linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, and matrices.

2. How is Kleppner's Quick Calculus related to linear algebra?

Kleppner's Quick Calculus can be used as a foundation for learning linear algebra, as it covers topics such as derivatives, integrals, and limits that are essential in understanding linear algebra.

3. Is Kleppner's Quick Calculus a good resource for learning linear algebra?

While Kleppner's Quick Calculus may provide some background on the concepts used in linear algebra, it is not specifically designed to teach linear algebra. It is recommended to use a textbook that is dedicated to linear algebra for a better understanding of the subject.

4. Can I use Kleppner's Quick Calculus as a reference for linear algebra problems?

Kleppner's Quick Calculus may provide some helpful information for solving linear algebra problems, but it is not a comprehensive resource for this subject. It is best to use a textbook or other materials specifically focused on linear algebra for reference.

5. Are there any other books similar to Kleppner's Quick Calculus for linear algebra?

Yes, there are many other books available that cover linear algebra in a similar way to Kleppner's Quick Calculus. Some popular options include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang.