What is the Shadow Speed Function for a Walking Man and Child?

Then ds/dt= 30 x/(s-x)^2. And s= f(x) so ds/dt= f'(x) dx/dt= -5 f'(x). You tell me what f(x) is and we can finish.In summary, a man 6 feet tall and his 3 ft tall child walk towards a 30 ft streetlight at a rate of 5 feet per second. The man's shadow extends beyond the child's shadow, with the man's shadow being 112.5 ft from the light and the child's shadow being 111+(1/9) ft from the light. When the man is 90 feet from the light, the child's shadow is 77
=Lawrence=

Homework Statement

A man 6 feet tall walks at a rate of 5 feet per second toward a streetlight that is 30 ft high. The man's 3 ft tall child follows at the same speed, but 10 feet behind the man. At times, the shadow behind the child is caused by the man, and at other times, by the child.

a) Suppose the man is 90 feet from the streetlight. Show that the man's shadow extends beyond the child's shadow.

I solved this by drawing it out and using similar triangles and fairly simple algebra. Man's shadow is 112.5 ft from light. Kid's is 111+(1/9) ft from light.

b) The same as a, but with different answers.

I solved this the same way. Man's shadow is 75 ft from light. Kid's is 77+(7/9) ft from light.

c) Determine the distance from the man to the streetlight at which the tips of the two shadows are the same distance from the streetlight.

Same thing. d=80 ft

d) Determine how fast the tip of the shadow is moving as a function of x, the distance between the man and the street light. Discuss the continuity of this shadow speed function.

This is the part I don't know how to do. I have the answer, since it's in the back of the book, but that doesn't help me. I need to know how to do it.

Homework Equations

Rules of differentiation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've got the answers, I'll presume the previous ones are correct. If x is the distance from the man to the streetlight, then make d the distance from the man to the tip of his shadow. Use your similar triangles to find a relation between x and d. You must have already done this, right? Then what the relation between d/dt(x), the speed of the man, and d/dt(x+d) the speed of the shadow?

Dick said:
Then what's the relation between d/dt(x), the speed of the man, and d/dt(x+d) the speed of the shadow?

I don't know. We've only done this kind of problem once before in class and I didn't understand it then. I could get the other stuff because it was geometry/algebra, but this part of the problem actually requires calculus, and at that, calculus I haven't done before.

dx/dt= -5 ft/s

24d=6x

24(dd/dt)=6(-5)

dd/dt=-30/24

Hmm...I just checked the back. That's not right. Apparently they came up with this:

Let x be the distance of the man from the light and let s be the distance from the light to the tip of the shadow. If 0 < x< 80, ds/dt= -50/9. If x>80, ds/dt= -25/4. There is a discontinuity at x = 80.

I have no idea where they're getting these numbers. They have basically the same format though, which makes me think I'm doing something right. I can't help but think it should be a lot more complicated though.

Last edited:
What equation did you get connecting the distance the man is from the light, x, and the length of the shadow, say s? Let's call that s= f(x). Then ds/dt= f'(x) dx/dt and you are told that dx/dt= -5 ft/s. ds/dt= -5 f'(x)

HallsofIvy said:
What equation did you get connecting the distance the man is from the light, x, and the length of the shadow, say s? Let's call that s= f(x). Then ds/dt= f'(x) dx/dt and you are told that dx/dt= -5 ft/s. ds/dt= -5 f'(x)

That's where I falter. I had 24x=6s. That's how I did the other problems.

Ok, they want the speed of the tip of the shadow. Not the rate of change of the length of the shadow. So let s be the distance of the end of the shadow from the light. Then I get 6/(s-x)=30/s. Do you agree?

Related to What is the Shadow Speed Function for a Walking Man and Child?

1. What is a differentiation story problem?

A differentiation story problem is a type of mathematical problem that requires the use of differentiation, a calculus concept, to solve. These problems typically involve finding the rate of change of a quantity or the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How do you solve a differentiation story problem?

To solve a differentiation story problem, you need to first identify the independent and dependent variables, and then use the appropriate rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the function. After finding the derivative, you can substitute in the given values to find the rate of change or slope at the specific point.

3. What are some real-life examples of differentiation story problems?

Real-life examples of differentiation story problems can include calculating the speed of a car at a specific time, finding the rate of change of a population over time, or determining the slope of a production function for a business. Essentially, any situation that involves finding the rate of change or slope can be represented as a differentiation story problem.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving differentiation story problems?

Some common mistakes when solving differentiation story problems include forgetting to use the chain rule, not correctly identifying the independent and dependent variables, or making algebraic errors when finding the derivative. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differentiation story problems?

To improve your skills in solving differentiation story problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the rules of differentiation. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources, and try to apply the concept to real-life situations to better understand its applications.