Simple act of taking derivatives, I suppose

In summary: Thanks for the explanations CPT, but due to opposite variables in the theta function, when you take the first derivative, a relative negative sign between exponential functions appears which means it's more like \delta'(\tau)(e^{i\omega\tau}-e^{-i\omega\tau}) which as I mentioned is proportional to a sine function. Plus, even if it was a cosine function you should take this as an identity, which means if I multiply \delta'(\tau)\cos(\omega\tau) with another function f(\tau) in a more general context, then that integral identity would not help to make the whole expression vanish taking f'
vizart
I am having bit of a problem proving Eq. (0.2):

[tex](0.1) \text{ } G_{\omega}(t-t^\prime)=\theta(t-t^\prime) \frac{e^{-i\omega(t-t^\prime)}}{2\omega}+\theta(t^\prime-t) \frac{e^{i\omega(t-t^\prime)}}{2\omega}[/tex]
[tex] (0.2) \text { }\left (-\partial^2_{t}-\omega^2 \right ) G_\omega (t-t^\prime)=i\delta(t-t^\prime)[/tex]

The problem is dealing with the first and second order derivatives of the theta function in Eq. (0.1); they don't match the right hand side of (0.2).

MODs: It's not a homework problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am totally unfamiliar with these equations. However when I see a delta function in one equation and a complex exponential in the other I think of Fourier transforms.

The derivative of [itex]\Theta(t)[/itex] is [itex]\delta(t)[/itex]. You can then use this result, along with the fact that the second derivative of [itex]\Theta(t)[/itex] is peaked at [itex]t=0[/itex] (so that these terms cancel) to find [itex]\partial^2_t G[/itex] and substitute to find the answer.

If you want any more details please show what you have worked out so far.

cpt_carrot said:
The derivative of [itex]\Theta(t)[/itex] is [itex]\delta(t)[/itex]. You can then use this result, along with the fact that the second derivative of [itex]\Theta(t)[/itex] is peaked at [itex]t=0[/itex] (so that these terms cancel) to find [itex]\partial^2_t G[/itex] and substitute to find the answer.

If you want any more details please show what you have worked out so far.

Thanks for your response. I knew about the derivative of the delta function, but the problem is when you take first and second derivatives of the theta function, you get one term with delta function and [tex]cos\left (\omega(t-t^\prime)\right )[/tex] (the other derivative is carried over the exp function) and for the second derivative, the derivative of delta function multiplied by sine of the same variable (all with some additional constant coefficients). It's these cosine and sine functions that I couldn't get them equal to one and zero respectively (modulo those presumably manageable coefficients).

Last edited:
vizart said:
Thanks for your response. I knew about the derivative of the delta function, but the problem is when you take first and second derivatives of the theta function, you get one term with delta function and [tex]cos\left (\omega(t-t^\prime)\right )[/tex] (the other derivative is carried over the exp function) and for the second derivative, the derivative of delta function multiplied by sine of the same variable (all with some additional constant coefficients). It's these cosine and sine functions that I couldn't get them equal to one and zero respectively (modulo those presumably manageable coefficients).

The sin and cos terms are multiplied by delta functions, right?

So you can take them to be at t=t' and so they give the required values.

cpt_carrot said:
The sin and cos terms are multiplied by delta functions, right?

So you can take them to be at t=t' and so they give the required values.

Alright, I see that the cosine term that is multiplied by a delta function could be taken as one, but the sine term is multiplied by the derivative of delta function and I can't see how you could set it equal to zero.

Last edited:
The derivative of a delta function has the property
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty\delta'(t)f(t)dt=-f'(0)[/tex]

In your equation you should have a term like
[tex]\delta'(\tau)(e^{i\omega\tau}+e^{-i\omega\tau})[/tex]
which at [itex]\tau=0[/itex] has a derivative which goes away so this term gives no contribution.

Hope that clears things up.

cpt_carrot said:
The derivative of a delta function has the property
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty\delta'(t)f(t)dt=-f'(0)[/tex]

In your equation you should have a term like
[tex]\delta'(\tau)(e^{i\omega\tau}+e^{-i\omega\tau})[/tex]
which at [itex]\tau=0[/itex] has a derivative which goes away so this term gives no contribution.

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks for the explanations CPT, but due to opposite variables in the theta function, when you take the first derivative, a relative negative sign between exponential functions appears which means it's more like [tex]\delta'(\tau)(e^{i\omega\tau}-e^{-i\omega\tau})[/tex] which as I mentioned is proportional to a sine function. Plus, even if it was a cosine function you should take this as an identity, which means if I multiply [tex]\delta'(\tau)\cos(\omega\tau)[/tex] with another function [tex]f(\tau)[/tex] in a more general context, then that integral identity would not help to make the whole expression vanish taking [tex]f'(\tau) \neq 0[/tex] -integration implied.

Last edited:
I agree with all of that, and am now stumped, sorry :frown:

If you work it out, let me know!

1. What is the simple act of taking derivatives?

The simple act of taking derivatives is a mathematical process used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable.

2. Why is taking derivatives important?

Taking derivatives is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes over time or in response to various inputs. It is also used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

3. How do you take derivatives?

To take derivatives, you use a set of rules and formulas to find the derivative of a function. These rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. You also need to have a good understanding of algebra and basic calculus concepts.

4. What are some real-world applications of taking derivatives?

There are many real-world applications of taking derivatives, such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of moving objects in physics, finding the optimal production level in economics, and analyzing changes in stock prices in finance.

5. Can you provide an example of taking derivatives?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 2x. To find the derivative of this function, we use the power rule and product rule. The derivative would be f'(x) = 6x + 2. This tells us that the rate of change of f(x) at any given point is equal to 6 times that point plus 2.