Solving a Simple Algebra Problem: x+y=60, x2=0.25, y2 - Find x and y

• Thread starter Magma828
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, simple algebra is a branch of mathematics that uses symbols and rules to solve equations and real-world problems. To solve a simple algebra problem, you need to follow basic algebra rules and isolate the variable. A simple algebra problem typically consists of variables, constants, and mathematical operations. You can use any letter as a variable as long as it is consistent. To check the correctness of a solution, you can substitute the value into the original equation or use a calculator.
Magma828
x+y=60

x2 = 0.25
y2

find x and y

it's part of a massive physics question, and i'll post the whole thing and my workings so far if it turns out that this maths question is impossible.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two equations in two unknowns, so in theory there is a solution.

I suggest using the first equation to express y in x (i.e. rewrite x+y=60 to y=60-x), then plug that into the second one and solve the resulting quadratic equation for x.

FAQ: Solving a Simple Algebra Problem: x+y=60, x2=0.25, y2 - Find x and y

1. What is simple algebra?

Simple algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. It is used to find unknown quantities in equations or to solve real-world problems.

2. How do I solve a simple algebra problem?

To solve a simple algebra problem, you need to follow the basic rules of algebra, such as performing the same operation on both sides of the equation and combining like terms. It is also important to isolate the variable on one side of the equation to find its value.

3. What are the main components of a simple algebra problem?

A simple algebra problem typically consists of one or more variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It may also include parentheses and exponents.

4. Can I use letters other than x in a simple algebra problem?

Yes, you can use any letter or symbol as a variable in a simple algebra problem. The most commonly used variables are x, y, and z, but you can use any letter as long as it is consistent throughout the problem.

5. How can I check if my solution to a simple algebra problem is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator to verify your answer.

Back