Understanding Black Holes: Comparing Mass Calculation Methods

In summary, if you're trying to determine the mass of a black hole, you would use Kepler's laws just as you would for any other object. However, because black holes are so weakly emitting radiation, you would also need to use other methods to estimate their mass.
Eternalmetal
If I were determining the mass of a black hole, would I do it the same way as if it were a planet?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
depends on what way you do it to find the mass of the planet... but i think the mass of a black hole is found using the gravitational field it exerts on the surroundings

If you have the BH in a binary system (with an ordinary star for example), then yes, you measure the mass of the BH by just calculate it from the obseravional data using keplers law and so on.

Eternalmetal said:
If I were determining the mass of a black hole, would I do it the same way as if it were a planet?
no i think maybe you have to work back from its entropy

Go back in history, how you deduced for the first time that black holes exists. You use planetary motion, keplers laws etc.

Eternalmetal said:

As Malawi said, in general you would use Kepler's laws just as for any object. Even in the case of a fairly tightly orbiting black hole-blackhole or neutronstar-neutronstar binary this works pretty well.

Andrewj's suggestion is nonsense.

yes vazier, in theory. But not in practice.

Vazier said:
the heat of the black hole

No; you'd better read that again. (Hint: extensive versus intensive quantities!)

As Malawi said, using Kepler is a practical method. No-one has yet detected (or hopes to detect) the Hawking radiation from any black hole!--- it's much too weak.

i see... thanks for telling that... i will go through a few more articles to understand the thing better

i agree with Vazier

rubecuber said:
i agree with Vazier

That's too bad, since as already pointed out he made at least two major errors in what he wrote.

2 major errors?

Yes--- reread what you wrote and then reread my comment.

okay ... i got it i guess XD

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. How big can a black hole get?

The size of a black hole depends on its mass. The more massive a black hole is, the larger its event horizon (the point of no return) will be. Supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies can have a mass equivalent to billions of suns.

3. Can black holes move?

Black holes do not move in the traditional sense as they do not have a physical surface to move on. However, they can move through space by being dragged along with the objects they are orbiting.

4. What happens if you enter a black hole?

Once you cross the event horizon of a black hole, it is impossible to escape. Your body and all matter will be stretched and compressed until it reaches the singularity, the point of infinite density at the center of a black hole.

5. Do black holes eventually disappear?

According to current theories, black holes do not disappear. However, they do emit a type of radiation called Hawking radiation, which causes them to slowly lose mass over time. It is estimated that it would take trillions of years for a black hole to fully evaporate.