1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple check for operaters communting, think im missing something very obvious!

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am supposed to find if the following commutes: [Lx,Ly]

2. Relevant equations

Lx= -i[tex]\hbar[/tex][y([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z) - z([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]y)]

Ly= -i[tex]\hbar[/tex][z([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]x) - x([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z)]

where [Lx,Ly]=LxLy-LyLx

If it commutes then [Lx,Ly]=0

3. The attempt at a solution

[Lx,Ly]= (i[tex]\hbar[/tex])2{[y([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z) - z([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]y)[z([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]x) - x([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z)]}

After expanding this I got a result of 0. So my solution concluded that they commute.

The answer however is [Lx,Ly]= i[tex]\hbar[/tex]Lx

I clearly expanded it wrong. I was hoping if anyone could explain how they expanded the LxLy-LyLx part. In my calculations I cannot seem to figure out how the answer contains a few more parts in the expansion which results in a non-commutation..

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you mean [Lx,Ly]= i[tex]\hbar[/tex]Lz.

Hint: Consider [itex]\left( L_x L_y - L_y L_x \right)f[/itex], where [itex]f[/itex] is an arbitrary function of the spatial coordinates. Take things one step at a time, don't forget about the product rule for differentiation, and remove [itex]f[/itex] at the end.

4. May 28, 2009 #3
    Keep in mind that you're working with operators, so it's not just a matter of simple expansion. To calculate such a commutator, let the whole thing act on a function.

[tex][L_x,L_y]f(x,y,z)[/tex]

Since you have all sort of derivatives you will find that the product comes into a play a number of times. For instance, one term gives:
    [tex]y\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left( z\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right) f(x,y,z) =
    y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x,y,z) + yz \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x\partialz}f(x,y,z)[/tex]

One of these terms will be canceled by some other term, while the other one survives.

EDIT: OK, George beat me to it ;)

5. May 28, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Another way to do it is to use the two following commutator identities:

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    &[A+B,C]=[A,C]+[B,C]
    \\
    &[A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C]
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

6. May 28, 2009 #5
    Perfect it all makes sense now! You guys are great thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook