Simple check for operaters communting, think im missing something very obvious

• Thread starter hoch449
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding if [Lx,Ly] commutes, where Lx and Ly are operators. Through expanding the commutator and using commutator identities, it is determined that the answer is [Lx,Ly]= i\hbarLz, showing that they do not commute. The conversation also provides a hint for calculating such commutators and emphasizes the use of operators instead of simple expansion.
hoch449

Homework Statement

I am supposed to find if the following commutes: [Lx,Ly]

Homework Equations

Lx= -i[tex]\hbar[/tex][y([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z) - z([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]y)]

Ly= -i[tex]\hbar[/tex][z([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]x) - x([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z)]

where [Lx,Ly]=LxLy-LyLx

If it commutes then [Lx,Ly]=0

The Attempt at a Solution

[Lx,Ly]= (i[tex]\hbar[/tex])2{[y([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z) - z([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]y)[z([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]x) - x([tex]\partial/[/tex][tex]\partial[/tex]z)]}

After expanding this I got a result of 0. So my solution concluded that they commute.

The answer however is [Lx,Ly]= i[tex]\hbar[/tex]Lx

I clearly expanded it wrong. I was hoping if anyone could explain how they expanded the LxLy-LyLx part. In my calculations I cannot seem to figure out how the answer contains a few more parts in the expansion which results in a non-commutation..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hoch449 said:
The answer however is [Lx,Ly]= i[tex]\hbar[/tex]Lx

I think you mean [Lx,Ly]= i[tex]\hbar[/tex]Lz.

Hint: Consider [itex]\left( L_x L_y - L_y L_x \right)f[/itex], where [itex]f[/itex] is an arbitrary function of the spatial coordinates. Take things one step at a time, don't forget about the product rule for differentiation, and remove [itex]f[/itex] at the end.

Keep in mind that you're working with operators, so it's not just a matter of simple expansion. To calculate such a commutator, let the whole thing act on a function.

[tex][L_x,L_y]f(x,y,z)[/tex]

Since you have all sort of derivatives you will find that the product comes into a play a number of times. For instance, one term gives:
[tex]y\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \left( z\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\right) f(x,y,z) =
y \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x,y,z) + yz \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x\partialz}f(x,y,z)[/tex]

One of these terms will be canceled by some other term, while the other one survives.

EDIT: OK, George beat me to it ;)

Another way to do it is to use the two following commutator identities:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&[A+B,C]=[A,C]+[B,C]
\\
&[A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C]
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Perfect it all makes sense now! You guys are great thanks!

1. What is the purpose of a simple check for operators commuting?

A simple check for operators commuting is used to determine if two operators in a mathematical equation can be switched without changing the result. This can help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

2. How is a simple check for operators commuting performed?

To perform a simple check for operators commuting, you need to switch the order of the operators and see if the result is the same. If it is, then the operators commute and can be switched without changing the result. If the result is different, then the operators do not commute and cannot be switched.

3. What are the most common operators that commute?

The most common operators that commute are addition and multiplication. This means that the order of the numbers being added or multiplied does not affect the result. Other common operators that commute include exponentiation and for matrix operations, addition and scalar multiplication.

4. Why is it important to check for operators commuting?

Checking for operators commuting can help simplify mathematical equations and make them easier to solve. It can also help identify patterns and relationships between numbers and variables in the equation.

5. Are there any operators that do not commute?

Yes, there are operators that do not commute. Some examples include subtraction, division, and matrix multiplication. Switching the order of these operators will result in a different answer, making it important to pay attention to the order when solving equations with these operators.